[Vision2020] Prejudgements and the Prejudging Judgers that make them (was Chamber President and FirstBank)

Dan Carscallen predator75 at moscow.com
Fri Aug 27 07:54:53 PDT 2004

My how we are quick to judge!

Does anyone purport to know McMillan's views?  Just because she thinks V2020
has "lost its focus" (I'm paraphrasing, not quoting), does that tell you
what side of the fence she leans on?  I don't think so.  I think there are
just as many people on the left as there are on the right who think V2020 is
the biggest waste of electrons on the internet.  I've spoken with them.
Some have even mentioned changing political parties so they would not be
associated with V2020, but I'm not going to name names (even though the
little devil on my shoulder is screaming at me "DO IT!!  DO IT!!!).

I know Janice McMillan.  There are many things that we don't agree on, but
we get along fine.  Maybe she stays away from V2020 because she does not
want to be political.  The chamber president is not a political office.  The
public did not vote for her, the chamber members did.  I also know Paul
Kimmell.  You won't find a more honest, amicable, easy going guy.  Kimmell's
position with the chamber is also not a public office, he was hired by the
chamber board.  The public didn't vote him in there.  So, in all honesty,
chamber members should have the say as to whether they keep Kimmell or not.
Maybe he's there because the chamber members know him and what he's done for
them better than V2020 members.

I also know of the use of Robert E. Lee as an example of leadership in that
chamber retreat, since I've talked to folks who were there, and know why it
was used, and it's not what you think.  Maybe it was a mistake, maybe it was
the best thing at that time.  You don't know because you weren't there.
Maybe it was a mistake, maybe not.  I guess it all depends on how freakin'
sensitive you are to things.  Maybe I'm insensitive, or maybe I realize that
there aren't going to be slave auctions down at Friendship Square any time
soon.  Nobody, and I mean NOBODY in Moscow would allow this place to become
a neoconfederate stronghold like most on V2020 seems to think it will.
Maybe people need some "insensitivity training" so they don't fly off the
handle at every little thing.

I've heard about rantings at downtown businesses by V2020 members concerning
this situation, and frankly, it embarrasses me.  Several recent newspaper
articles (well, several gossip columns as well), and now these two people
are being raked over the coals.  I don't think you could find two more
upstanding people who care more about this community.  That's probably why
they are in the positions they are in.

Ramble On,
And now's the time, the time is now
To sing my song