[Vision2020] LMT 8/25/04 Moscow Chamber Rumors Denied

Melynda Huskey mghuskey at msn.com
Wed Aug 25 12:21:59 PDT 2004

I think the Tribune did a slightly better job assembling all the facts than
the Daily News did, but I think there's still some confusion--and some
unfair generalizations or allegations about us, the members of Vision 2020.

For example, "McMillan blasted Vision 2020 as something that's gone from a
potentially helpful local forum of ideas to "garbage" spouted by about a
dozen contributors who give a totally wrong impression of what Moscow is all
about.  'Vision 2020 was a great idea when it came out,' said McMillan, 'but
it has just been taken over by a group of, I don't know how to say this ...
I would call them almost destructive.' "

Is Ms. McMillan a member of Vision 2020? Her name doesn't appear in any
recognizable form on the list of 516 subscribers maintained by First Step.
And while she may not like what people have to say on the list (sometimes I
don't either!), I'd hesitate to qualify it as "garbage."

I'm also disturbed by this statement:

>Kimmell defended his use of Lee in his recent presentation, saying it
>had nothing to do with the promotion of slavery.  "It was not intended
>to be about anything but the leadership skills of a leader," said
>Kimmell.

There was no response from anyone on the Board to the presentation, nor any
comment from Chamber members not on the Board, which I think was a weakness
in the article.  And I still think the use of a Confederate general as a
role model given recent controversies was a peculiar one:  I have yet to
hear or read an explanation for the choice, which would have been a helpful
addition to any of the articles.

I was also particularly troubled by this paragraph in Alexis Bachrach's
article in the Daily News last night:

"Many who have long disagreed with the pastor's views, took their protest
against Wilson and applied it to the entire church.  Those same community
members have attacked Kimmell's membership in the church on local Internet
listservs and other public forums."

This is editorializing unsupported by evidence.  What protest?  How, and by
whom, was a protest applied to the entire church?  And who are these "many"
community members?  As someone who *has* commented here on what I see as
conflict of interest, poor judgement, and preferential treatment of church
members in Paul Kimmell's work as a commissioner and as the Director of the
Chamber, I strongly object to the notion that I am protesting an entire
church, or attacking someone's church membership.  That's just not accurate
at all.  My concerns are very focused on a particular person's actions in
his role as a public figure.  His church membership is a part of that
concern *only* insofar as it appears to be implicated in his public role.

Melynda Huskey