[Vision2020] Why does the Hamilton-Lowe Aquatics Center close so early?

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Wed Aug 25 11:56:25 PDT 2004

8/25/04

To All Concerned:

Not withstanding the recent weather, I've been receiving numerous inquiries
concerning the closing of the Hamilton-Lowe Aquatics Center for weekday use
starting August 23rd. I hope this will answer most of those concerns.

We lose up to 65% of the pool staff in the two weeks prior to the start of
the University of Idaho fall semester. We lose most of the remaining staff
between that time and the beginning day of High School. The University of
Idaho started on the 23rd and the High School starts on September 1st. We
feel very lucky just to be able to bring in a skeleton crew to safely
operate the aquatic center on weekends through to include Labor Day weekend.

In our efforts to extend the season as long as possible, we were able to get
four lifeguards that could work during the week after the 23rd; we require
15...and that's just the lifeguards. Pay incentives have very little effect.
Simply put, once the school season is here, the staff is gone. This happens
each year and isn't unique to Moscow.

The aquatic center requires a minimum number of staff to safely operate.
With 95%+ of all employees lost to school, we don't have many options but to
close the center.

I hope this helps.

Dwight (Dw) Curtis

Parks & Recreation Director