[Vision2020] McBroom on Slavery

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Tue Aug 24 12:15:35 PDT 2004

Greetings:

Ted Ryan: I don't have to go back into theV2020 archives.  All I have to do
is turn to page 24 of "Southern Slavery As It Was" by Wilson and Wilkins
and read:

"Slavery as it existed in the South was not an adversarial relationship
with pervasive racial animosity.  Because of its dominantly patriarchal
character, it was a relationship based upon mutual affection and
confidence.  There has never been a multi-racial society which has existed
with such mutual intimacy and harmony in the history of the world.  The
credit for this must go to the predominance of Christianity.  The gospel
enabled men who were distinct in nearly every way, to live and work
together, to be friends and often intimates."

Any reader who reads this would obviously think that this is support for
Southern slavery.  And did the vicious racial animosity just mysteriously
appear after the Civil War?  Rather absurd proposition, don't you think?

And if Mr. McBroom is still with us, and even if he isn't, I would like to
quote a passage from his critique of the Southern Baptist Statement of
Repentance about Southern Slavery:

"The fact that slavery, as an institution, not only is allowed for in the
Bible but also is mandated by the god of Scripture is certain
circumstances, sets the Southern Baptist denomination at odds with the
Bible--therefore at odds with the god who gave the Bible.  To call slavery
a great evil, as was done, is to proclaim the God who ordained slavery evil."

You could not get a more pro-slavery statement than that. You will recall
that McBroom is a deacon in Steve Wilkins' church in Louisiana.  Does
Wilkins support his deacon's explicit support for slavery? An image of
McBroom's full statement can be found at
http://www.tomandrodna.com/transfer/mcbroom_0695.jpg

Nick Gier