[Vision2020] Plagiarism Issues

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Mon Aug 23 09:35:59 PDT 2004

Greetings:

I've been promising to respond to Wilson's blog defense to the plagiarism
charges, but I have misplaced it somewhere on my hard drive, so let me
suffice with one point that I remember.  Wilson said that we are selective
in our charges of plagiarism and mentioned MLK's doctoral dissertation at
Boston University.

Here is a passage from my Gandhi book: "King's sexual sins were very
specific and limited, but habitual and regular. (For academics the examples
of plagiarism might be taken as worse.)" (The Virtue of Non-Violence [SUNY
Press, 2004], p. 170)  I go on to criticize Gandhi more harshly because at
least King admitted his sins and did penance for them.  In dramatic
contrast Gandhi did not for his nonsexual sleeping with young girls.

With regard to Melynda's charge of plagiarism against Paul Kimmel, she made
an important qualifier.  Remember she asked if Kimmel had quoted his
sources?  On Saturday a Wilson supporter accosted me and distracted me from
my duties at the PCEI booth at Palousafest.  He claimed that Kimmel did
cite the source for these passages during his presentation.

I have asked Vera White to tell me if the text she received had any
footnotes and if her sources can confirm that Kimmell did in fact cite his
source during his presentation.  Can anyone else who has present confirm this?

Perhaps Kimmell himself can clear this up and also explain to his
constituents what Christ Church oversight really means?  Are you out there
Mr. Kimmell?  Your constituents are waiting for answers.

I'm just as puzzled as others on this list serve who wonder why any
autonomous adult needs oversight.  In one of my chapter sub-headings I
called this, rather provocatively but accurately, as "biblical juvenilism."

Nick Gier