[Vision2020] County Commissioner Terms and Districts

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 17 18:47:37 PDT 2004

Mark,

Thanks for your comments.

I think a lot of people don't comment on the districts because they don't
understand them. Further, they don't effect the voters, more just the people
that want to run. For example, I would love to have Pat Vaughan, Linda Pike,
and Tom as our commissioners. But that cannot happen because of the way the
districts are drawn. The confusing aspect is that everyone gets to vote,
even for districts they don't live in.

I don't like the pie districting at all, a bull's-eye or two for the city
and one for the outer county is better. I don't know of a soul that can tell
you exactly where the districts lines fall. Most people have to look on a
map. I would bet you lunch at Patty's that 90% of Moscow residents could not
tell you if they live in District 1, 2, or 3.

If you want to be able to shake things up in the County and be able to kick
out the commissioners, why not just make them all two year terms instead of
confusing people.

You should be able to answer the following question with ease:

Which District seat(s) will be up for election in 2012, 2026, and 2028. If
you cannot answer quickly, the system is to confusing.

I can tell you if any given year is an election year for the President or
Governor with little, if no calculation.

Thanks,

Donovan J Arnold