[Vision2020] Re: Courageous Barbara Lee!

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 14 19:39:36 PDT 2004

You know what, Ted . . . you're right.  I concede the argument.  I have read Manufacturing Consent (and I've seen the excellent documentary of the same name many times) and that is just what occurred during the run-up to the current Iraq war.  Consent was manufactured, marketed, and purchased wholesale.  By us.  We should expect more from ourselves and our politicians, John Kerry included.  His vote to grant Bush authorization to use force in Iraq was wrong.  If I knew better, and you knew better, then you're correct to say that there's no reason that a man with 30 years in public service shouldn't have known better.

In this, Kerry demonstrated (and, by his refusal to renounce that vote, continues to demonstrate) flawed judgment.  I'm sorry for that; I think it's a weakness, but it's one that I'm obliged to weigh against Mr. Bush's willful misjudgment that we could invade Iraq with a light army, democratize it on the cheap, and that we'd be greeted by dancing villagers with grateful hearts.  None of the men who concocted the invasion of Iraq a decade ago in that neo-con think tank had any first-hand experience of war.  When John Kerry, John McCain, Max Cleland, Chuck Hagel and others who have served and have had that experience say they voted for the use of force, but they didn't know that the war's planners would be so inept, I accept what they say at face value.  It's no comfort to the bereaved, and there must be some judgment for the part they've played, but in leveling our judgment, let's not lose sight of the pernicious men at the top who dreamed up, engendered, and hatched this mess.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment