[Vision2020] Re: oversight=authority?

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 13 16:42:53 PDT 2004

Ted R. writes:

"How is anyone here in any kind of position to judge what was meant from
those church minutes?"

I agree that people should not be snooping around and collecting information
on Church meetings. However, we are not debating methods of data collection,
we are debating the content of the data. If a person walks into the wrong
motel room on accident and discovers that a women is being raped, should
that person turn around and walk away without any action or comment because
their entrance was illegal? I think not. Is that person to reserve judgment
about rape? I think not.

You are attempting to turn the debate about the content, to the methods of
data collection, which there is no debate, most, if not all people agree
that the information was collected improperly. However, that doesn't forgive
us from other moral obligations that we all feel we have for our society and
fellow humans.

I don't think if the minutes of Christ Church were it would end this debate
because it is written in Public Forum on Christ Church's website, which is
intended for public view.

“Do you swear in the name of God to support the ministry of this church in
its worship and work, submitting to its government and discipline, while
pursuing its purity and peace?”

In English, this means members of Christ Church must do what the Elders tell
them. Which is what we are debating.

Donovan J Arnold