[Vision2020] Aug 10 Update on Dog Park

Kit Craine kcraine at moscow.com
Wed Aug 11 14:20:11 PDT 2004

While Mr. Lindsey may disagree with my using the adjective "major" to
describe the degree of loss associated with the proposed solution to
the school district taking part of the Dog Park, I take umbrage at my
statement being called "a bit out of line." My definition of a "major"
loser is someone who has no forewarning of an action, no voice in the
decision, and is left to deal with the consequences without
compensation or mitigation.

That almost happened with Dog Park. The original proposal was that the
school district's driveway would cross the park and in return the
school district would (generously) spend $15,000 on a retaining wall
that would minimize the area they were taking. The "request" was
presented to the city with little notice at the end of July under
circumstances where if the council did not immediately agree, the whole
project (subdivision, street extension, driveway, ability to use buses
once school began) would fall apart.

The members of the Public Works/Finance committee (two of whom were
newly elected) did not fold under this pressure. They told the staff to
find a solution that would best meet the needs of the school district,
the park, and the Humane Society/Animal Shelter. They delayed the
process long enough so the affected parties could be involved in the
discussion. The committee should be commended for that.

Is this the perfect or ideal solution? No.
Is it a "win-win" situation for everyone? No.
Is the discussion over? No.

Are there losers? Yes—primarily the Humane Society/Animal Shelter.
Are they "major" losers? Find out the facts and form your own opinion.

At least the society/shelter has a place at the table. If they feel
that the staff is ignoring something that could create a major problem,
they should be taking their concerns directly to the committee members.
I think the council members will listen.

One more thought: If the citizens of Moscow want to put "community"
back into the oversight of development then voting in an occasional
election is not enough. Each and every one of us needs to be both
vigilant and vocal. "Vigilant" as in diligently reading the council
agendas that are posted here and the legal notices in the Daily News
(how many of you caught the Dog Park encroachment item that was in the
agenda posted on Vision2020 on July 23rd?); "vocal" as in researching a
proposal then telling the mayor, council, and the appropriate
commission what you think.

Kit Craine