[Vision2020] Conflict of Interest

Jon Kimberling jon at n-k-ins.com
Thu Aug 5 16:35:00 PDT 2004

Wayne- you provide us with an excellent example of the point Tom was trying to make. He asked me to forward this email:

"I would like to make an attempt to make my point more clear regarding public
communication and sense of community.

I welcome debate on public issues and I feel differences of opinion are
important to test the merit of ideas.  I recognize there are a number of
substantial problems and errant behaviors out there in our community
adversely affecting us all.  My concern is that we should keep to the high
ground in our debate and discussion.  Meanness, back biting, character
assassination based on speculation, etc., are destructive and - I believe -
unnecessary.

Let's make our points embracing intellectual clarity, facts, and a desire
for constructive purpose.  Already, in response to Jon's V2020 email on
this, I'm seeing writers defend their communication by referring to the
merits of their issues.  I'm not making a case about any particular public
issue.  Those who feel a need to should have at it.  I am trying to make a
case for procedure and constructive communication.  If we keep to the high
ground, even our disagreements are likely to be constructive.

In the public arena, those who (bless their hearts) are willing to take up
the issues should recognize that most of their actions either contribute to
or take away from sense of community.  Even those who don't feel much sense
of community should be able to agree that improving it is better than
deflating it".

Tom Hudson