[Vision2020] conflict of interest

Melynda Huskey mghuskey at msn.com
Thu Aug 5 12:23:15 PDT 2004

Jon and Tom write eloquently about Moscow, lamenting recent events which may
have done damage to Moscow's sense of community.  I'd like to suggest
another perspective, which doesn't contradict theirs, but which may extend
it.

Not everyone in our community *has* felt that sense of community, of
inclusion, that Jon and Tom value.  The concerns which have emerged over the
last year or so show clearly that some county and city residents have not
felt included or heard by local government, businesses, and fellow citizens.

If we're part of a core group of folks with some influence and power, we may
well feel that Moscow's doing just fine, that we're a real community.  And
we deeply resent the implication that we haven't always acted fairly and
with the best interests of the community at heart. But what if we feel like
outsiders, and we're not being heard by those folks on the inside, who seem
to be benefiting themselves and their friends at our expense, and who show
little interest in our concerns?

I think what we're seeing is not a surprising split among Moscow residents,
but a deep divide which has existed for some time, and which has finally
gotten too deep to ignore.  The media isn't creating a division, it's
reporting it.  If we want to work through that division as a community, we
need to acknowledge that it exists, that it is real for citizens, and that
it has consequences for all of us that stretch far beyond whether or not
individual actors are nice people, or friendly, or good colleagues. The
financial and ethical disasters at the UI, the ongoing concerns about water,
zoning, development, taxes, public schools, conflict of interest, and the
religious conflicts which continue to plague us:  these are not artificial
or manufactured crises invented by meanspirited or careless or bored
citizens.  We're going to have to *work* our way through them.

Sometimes we build community by our willingness to say, and hear, hard
things about what isn't working--and I'd argue that it's a more resilient,
inclusive, healthy community when we do that.

Melynda Huskey