[Vision2020] Cell Phones

Paul nath5573 at uidaho.edu
Wed Aug 4 21:42:20 PDT 2004

Your informant is correct.
You can buy a phone, then purchase minutes on it.
And yes, geography is still quite the factor in cell phone operativeness.
I'm not sure about Moscow and surrounding region coverage, but I know
once you get into an area where an emergency is a genuine problem
(ie behind a mountain in the back of beyond), it almost certainly won't
work, for two reasons: a)its probably a place where noone goes(meaning
no reason
to put a cell tower up), and b) because when something goes wrong, it
tends to occur at exactly the worst time.

I must admit: I'm studying a highly technical profession, renowned for
its love of gadgets, but I am strangely gadget-free.
Among other things, its a cost I have no need to incur. Also cell phones
get more and more multi-function and "cool-factor" every month.
Oh well, ya?

-paul