[Vision2020] An Appropriate Quote

Tom Hansen thansen@moscow.com
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:09:40 -0700

Greetings Visionaires -

As I was thumbing through the Spokesman Review this morning I came across a
very fascinating (and appropriate) quote that was in a "Letters to the
Editor" posting.  It is by Arundhati Roy, author of "The God of Small
Things".

"People rarely win wars.  Governments rarely lose them.  People get killed.
Governments mold and regroup, hydra-headed.  They first use flags to
shrink-wrap people's minds and smother real thought, and then as ceremonial
shrouds to cover the mangled remains of the willing dead."

Pro patria,

Tom Hansen

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime." --Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.