[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter

thansen@moscow.com thansen@moscow.com
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:26:39 GMT

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends
April 30, 2004

Here's the latest news at the University of Idaho:
* As many as 1,700 bachelor's, master's, doctoral and law degrees
may be conferred at four UI commencement ceremonies - May 6 in Idaho
Falls; May 8 at Boise; May 10 in Coeur d'Alene; and May 15 in Moscow.
The Moscow plenary ceremony is at 9 a.m., preceded by an academic
processional from the Administration Building to the Kibbie-ASUI
Activity Center led by the Border Highlanders Pipes and Drums.
Separate college ceremonies follow at 11 a.m. for engineering; natural
resources; letters, arts, social sciences and general studies; at
1:30 p.m. for agricultural and life sciences; law; business and
economics; and at 4 p.m. for science and education.

* Four financial executives with a total of more than 90 years of
experience in government and higher education began interviewing for
the position of UI vice president for finance and administration this
week. All four candidates will meet with faculty, staff, students,
administrators, community members and media in Moscow and with UI
faculty, staff and students in Boise, Coeur d'Alene and Idaho Falls
via compressed video. A complete itinerary and brief biography for
each candidate are posted at www.uidaho.edu/vpfinance.

"Given the tightening of financial controls and implementation of
changes in financial management the university will undertake over
the next year, this position is critical to the institution as well
as to the state," said Interim President Gary Michael. The four
candidates are:

  - Thomas Anderes, senior vice chancellor for finance and administration
for the Oregon University System.
  - Walter Branson, vice chancellor for financial affairs at Indiana
University-Purdue University Fort Wayne.
  - Jay Kenton, vice president for finance and administration at Portland
State University.
  - Stephen Keto, associate vice chancellor for finance and business at
North Carolina State University in Raleigh.

* UI mascot Joe Vandal needs a makeover, said Danielle Rainville, ASUI
Athletics Board chair, and Matt Robson, the current Joe Vandal character
actor. The pair and their board are in pursuit of a new design for Joe
Vandal. They contend the present Joe's oversized head restricts his sight,
movement and popularity. Rainville and Robson are issuing an
all-points-bulletin for sketches of an envisioned "New Joe," who has a
smaller head, more chiseled features and one who resembles a more
contemporary action figure. People may send their ideas for "the New Joe"
to the ASUI Office, Commons 302, or to asui@uidaho.edu, before May 10.

* Kristi Schiermeier, a Fairfield, Idaho resident, was named UI
Mom-of-the-Year at Mom's Weekend Brunch April 24. She will receive a
framed certificate, a Vandal Mom's sweatshirt from UI's Student Alumni
Relations Board that sponsors the weekend, and the essay written by her
21-year-old son, Russell. The mechanical engineering junior documented
how his mother of four embodies the work ethic, selflessness of a parent,
dedication and love for her brood. "I fondly remember my mom dropping me
off at school and picking me up, covered in paint and grout after a day
of remodeling a home - and then fixing our dinner, helping with my
spelling test and wrapping up the day with a board game and a kiss
goodnight."

For more information about these items, please contact University
Communications at (208) 885-6291 or uinews@uidaho.edu.

University Communications would like to continue sending you the Friday
Letter via e-mail. However, if you wish to be removed from the mailing list
or to receive it at a different e-mail address, please respond to this message.

           http://www.fsr.net/