[Vision2020] Re: Third party support

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:40:55 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C42E32.A702AF30

I don't disagree with the bulk of your assessment, Tim.  The only bit I t=
ake strong issue with is this:

>You mention that you'll will vote for Kerry because he's the best of you=
r limited options.  That makes >sense. You identify as a Democrat and see=
m to be fairly happy with the two party system generally. >Cool.

I am not at all happy with the two-party system.  It makes both parties l=
azy and it ensures that both pander to the lowest common denominator, i.e=
, the ill-informed.  You describe John Kerry as a "Ted Kennedy buddy," m=
eaning, I suppose, that he's a liberal.  I take this as a sign of how far=
 to the right our political discourse has slipped.  Kerry is no liberal. =
 I'm a liberal.  Dennis Kucinich is a liberal.  Kerry is a pro-business h=
awk who has taken positions on the U.N. and the environment that that not=
orious liberal Richard Nixon would find entirely sympathetic.  (Let's not=
 forget who created the EPA and achieved detente with Red China.)  Kerry =
is another pro-choice centrist in the Bill Clinton mode, though thanks to=
 the fact that his home state is Massachusetts, the Republicans may yet s=
pin him into the second coming of Big Bill Heywood.

I'm not voting third party this year not just because I'm a Democrat (fro=
m the left, left wing of the Democratic party) but because I find George =
Bush terrifying.  I used to think he didn't have a ticket to ride the clu=
e bus; now I think he's blown the clue bus up.  His policies are regressi=
ve, short-sighted, and, over both the short and the long haul, destructiv=
e of American democracy, international diplomacy, and the financial well-=
being of people like you and me.  Two years' worth of war in Iraq will co=
st us $160 billion, and that's just the beginning.  Meanwhile, even by th=
e most conservative estimates, homeland security is coming up $98 billion=
 short over the next five years.  Our ports are no safer than they were b=
efore 9/11; neither are our chemical plants, our nuclear facilities, our =
electrical grid, or the rest of our infrastructure.  We still don't have =
enough first responders (police, fire, emergency) and most don't have the=
 equipment they need.  There's a chronic shortage of radios for our firef=
ighters.  =20

Radios, for God's sake.  My kids have walkie-talkies from Wal-Mart; they =
cost $18 and they can talk to one another up to a mile apart.  How is it =
that we have the money to pay demobbed Iraqi soldiers to keep them from r=
ioting but we don't have enough to buy protective gear for our police or =
haz-mat detection equipment for our cities?  We have a President who does=
n't know the difference between a rogue state and stateless terrorists.  =
Saddam loved himself more than he hated the United States; the threat of =
massive retaliation was always a deterrent.  You know why Saddam used poi=
son gas on the Kurds?  Because he knew he could get away with it.  He kne=
w they couldn't defend themselves.  He didn't try that trick on Israel.  =
He fired a couple of symbolic SCUDs, but he didn't use any of the chemica=
l or biological weapons during the first Gulf War that we knew he had.  (=
And we knew he had them because we sold them to him.  Smart us.)  When we=
 began amassing our troops in the Persian Gulf, Saddam couldn't back off =
fast enough.  Unfortunately, we wouldn't take yes for an answer. =20

[Attention Bushies: don't bother telling me that the world is better off =
without Saddam.  I know that.  It would be better off without Kim Jong Il=
, too, but there's not a chance in hell that we're going in to remove him=
  He's better armed than Saddam.]

Al Qaeda is still out there.  Our lack of attention to finishing the job =
in Afghanistan, to rebuilding its infrastructure and ensuring that Hamid =
Karzai is more than just a figurehead, has allowed Al Qaeda and the Talib=
an to regroup.  Shortly after we declared victory in Iraq, Al Qaeda blew =
up targets in Saudi Arabia and Morocco.  It was a nose-thumbing exercise,=
 proof that they still existed.  I have no doubt that they will prove tha=
t to us here at home before long.  And then what will Mr. Bush say?  Will=
 he stall the creation of another 9/11 commission and instead declare war=
 on Syria?  Or will it be Iran?  Or Castro's Cuba?  To put it clearly if =
ungrammatically, we'll strike at everyone but the ones what done it.

We need a change of leadership and we need it now.  I'm all for changing =
the political system, but at the moment, we've only got 27 weeks.  If thi=
s were George H. W. Bush rather than George W. Bush, I'd agree with you. =
 I'd say vote third party.  But on this, I'm with Donovan.  GWB is either=
 a dangerous nut or an empty-headed patsy, and I firmly believe that we h=
ave to lift every voice in a firm attempt to oust him.  Even here in (you=
 say, but I disagree) hopeless Idaho.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment    =20

    Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.=
msn.com

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C42E32.A702AF30

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <=
DIV>I don't disagree with the bulk of your assessment, Tim.&nbsp; The onl=
y bit I take&nbsp;strong issue with is this:</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV=
>&gt;You mention that you'll will vote for Kerry because he's the best of=
 your limited options.&nbsp; That makes &gt;sense. You identify as a Demo=
crat and&nbsp;seem to be&nbsp;fairly happy with the two party system gene=
rally. &gt;Cool.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I am not at all happy with =
the two-party system.&nbsp; It makes both parties lazy and it ensures tha=
t both pander to the lowest common denominator, i.e., the ill-informed.&n=
bsp; You describe John Kerry as a "Ted Kennedy buddy," meaning, I suppose=
, that he's a liberal.&nbsp; I take this as a sign of how far to the righ=
t our political discourse has slipped.&nbsp; Kerry is no liberal.&nbsp; I=
'm a liberal.&nbsp; Dennis Kucinich is a liberal.&nbsp;&nbsp;Kerry is&nbs=
p;a pro-business&nbsp;hawk who has taken positions on the U.N. and the en=
vironment that that notorious liberal Richard Nixon would find entirely s=
ympathetic.&nbsp;&nbsp;(Let's not forget who created the EPA and achieved=
 detente with Red China.)&nbsp; Kerry is another pro-choice centrist in t=
he Bill Clinton mode, though thanks to the fact that his home state is Ma=
ssachusetts, the Republicans may yet spin him into the second&nbsp;coming=
 of Big Bill Heywood.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I'm not voting third p=
arty this year not just because I'm a&nbsp;Democrat (from the left, left =
wing of the Democratic&nbsp;party) but because I find George Bush&nbsp;te=
rrifying.&nbsp; I used to think he didn't have a ticket to ride the clue =
bus; now I think he's blown the&nbsp;clue bus up.&nbsp; His policies are =
regressive, short-sighted, and, over both the short and the long haul, de=
structive of American democracy,&nbsp;international diplomacy, and the fi=
nancial well-being of people like you and me.&nbsp;&nbsp;Two years' worth=
 of war in Iraq will cost&nbsp;us $160 billion, and that's just the begin=
ning.&nbsp; Meanwhile,&nbsp;even by the most conservative estimates, home=
land security is coming up $98 billion short over the next five years.&nb=
sp; Our ports are no safer than they were before 9/11; neither are our ch=
emical plants, our nuclear facilities, our electrical grid,&nbsp;or the r=
est of our infrastructure.&nbsp; We still don't have enough first respond=
ers (police, fire, emergency) and&nbsp;most don't have&nbsp;the equipment=
 they need.&nbsp; There's a chronic shortage of&nbsp;radios for our firef=
ighters.&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Radios, for God's sake.&nbsp=
; My kids have walkie-talkies from Wal-Mart; they cost $18 and they can t=
alk to one another up to a mile apart.&nbsp; How is it that we have the m=
oney to pay demobbed Iraqi soldiers to keep them from rioting but we don'=
t have&nbsp;enough to buy protective gear for our police or haz-mat detec=
tion&nbsp;equipment for our cities?&nbsp;&nbsp;We have a&nbsp;President w=
ho doesn't know the difference between a rogue state and stateless terror=
ists.&nbsp; Saddam loved himself more than he hated the United States; th=
e threat of massive retaliation was always a deterrent.&nbsp; You know wh=
y Saddam used poison gas on the Kurds?&nbsp; Because he knew he could get=
 away with it.&nbsp; He knew they couldn't defend themselves.&nbsp; He di=
dn't try that trick on Israel.&nbsp; He fired a couple of symbolic SCUDs,=
 but he didn't use any of the chemical or biological weapons during the f=
irst Gulf War that we knew he had.&nbsp; (And we knew he had them because=
 we sold them to him.&nbsp; Smart us.)&nbsp; When we began amassing our t=
roops in the Persian Gulf,&nbsp;Saddam couldn't back off fast enough.&nbs=
p; Unfortunately, we wouldn't take yes for an answer.&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&n=
bsp;</DIV> <DIV>[Attention Bushies: don't bother&nbsp;telling me that the=
 world is better off without Saddam.&nbsp; I know that.&nbsp; It would be=
 better off without Kim Jong Il, too, but there's not a chance in hell th=
at we're going in to remove him.&nbsp; He's&nbsp;better armed than Saddam=
]</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Al Qaeda is still out there.&nbsp; Our la=
ck of attention to&nbsp;finishing the&nbsp;job in Afghanistan, to rebuild=
ing its&nbsp;infrastructure and ensuring that&nbsp;Hamid Karzai is more t=
han just a figurehead, has allowed Al Qaeda and the Taliban to regroup.&n=
bsp; Shortly after we declared victory in Iraq, Al&nbsp;Qaeda blew up tar=
gets in Saudi Arabia and Morocco.&nbsp; It was a nose-thumbing exercise, =
proof that they still existed.&nbsp; I have no doubt that they will prove=
&nbsp;that to us here at home&nbsp;before long.&nbsp; And then what will =
Mr. Bush say?&nbsp; Will he stall the creation of another 9/11 commission=
 and instead declare war on Syria?&nbsp; Or will it be&nbsp;Iran?&nbsp; O=
r Castro's Cuba?&nbsp; To put it clearly if ungrammatically, we'll strike=
 at everyone but the ones what done it.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>We n=
eed a change of leadership and we need it now.&nbsp; I'm all for changing=
 the political system, but at the moment, we've only got 27 weeks.&nbsp; =
If this were George H. W. Bush rather than George W. Bush, I'd agree with=
 you.&nbsp; I'd say vote third party.&nbsp; But on this, I'm with Donovan=
&nbsp; GWB is&nbsp;either a dangerous nut or an empty-headed patsy, and =
I firmly believe that we have to lift every voice in a firm attempt to ou=
st him.&nbsp; Even here in (you say, but I disagree) hopeless Idaho.</DIV=
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV></BODY></HTM=

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C42E32.A702AF30--