[Vision2020] My Mistake

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@msn.com
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:04:20 -0700

My fingers worked faster than my brain--thanks to Dan, Ron, and others for
providing *me* with a little reality check.

Luckily, my factual error doesn't materially injure the larger argument:
our latest series of military interventions in the world have made matters
worse, rather than better.  The world is not safer, nor more stable.  Osama
bin Laden has not been captured or deterred.  The people of Afghanistan
suffered terrible casualities during the bombing campaign.  We have failed
to provide anything like the financial assistance we promised for rebuilding
that nation.  The new constitution, according to those firebrands at Amnesty
International, does not adequately protect the human and civil rights of
women (of course, that was a low priority for us back when the Taliban were
our friends, too).

Meanwhile, our president consults Prince Bandur of Saudia Arabia (home of 15
of the 19 September 11 hijackers) about our war plans before he gets to the
Secretary of State.  Maybe that's because he doesn't know who Colin Powell
is--did anyone else notice that Bush referred to Rumsfeld as the Secretary
of State during his press conference?

We could hardly have handled these matters more ineffectually--and the
tragic, unnecessary deaths of many thousands of Iraqi and Afghan civilians,
of U.S. soldiers, and of Iraqi and Afghan soldiers are the result.

Melynda Huskey