[Vision2020] NFL Player KIA

Steve Lindsey lindsey@nrsweb.com
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 07:41:44 -0700

Tom,

I don't disagree with you that Pat Tillman is a hero, but he is no more a
hero than the thousands of other soldiers that have volunteered to go to
Iraq, Afghanistan or where ever it is their country "needs" them.  Pat
Tillman should be honored but what about the countless and nameless other
people that have been killed in these wars should they not be respected and
treated as heroes? Why does all the attention and calls for heroism arise
when a professional athlete dies?

Just my 2 cents

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: vision2020-admin@moscow.com [mailto:vision2020-admin@moscow.com]On
Behalf Of Tom Hansen
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 8:23 PM
To: Donovan Arnold; vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: RE: [Vision2020] NFL Player KIA

Greetings Visionaires -

I've been wanting to discuss Pat Tillman.

Do you realize that Pat Tillman turned down a $3.6 million contract with the
Arizona Cardinals to serve his country as an enlisted man.

He died as an SPC (in my time was an SP4).  Instead of living in the safe
confines of the nifty fifty and making $3.6 million on a one-year contract,
Pat Tillman opted to serve his country in the U.S. Army Special Forces
making just over $20,000 for that same year.

This is what heroes are made of.  Would any of us make that same decision
that Pat Tillman made?

His decision went beyond dedication.

He could have very easily kicked back, played football, pocketed $3.6
million, and read about what happened in Iraq.  He cared.

If George "I only missed a few National Guard meetings" Bush thinks he is so
much better than those that placed themselves in harm's way (like John Kerry
and Pat Tillman), he most certainly does NOT deserve the vote of this
disably retired Army veteran.

Take care of yourselves and each other,

Tom Hansen
Not On The Palouse, Not Ever