[Vision2020] Put the UI Teachers in Charge

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:58:22 -0700

UI should do what other colleges and Universities do to solve administrative
problems: Give Teachers the right and responsibility to hire and fire the
administrators. I think we could get things cleaned up pretty fast. The
purpose of the Unversity having an administration is to provide services to
the teachers so they can provide for the needs of the students.
Administrators think that the purpose of the students and teachers is to
provide them with a high paying job.

I think the problem is that many current and past administrators think the
University is a Business and they forget it is a school.

While attending UI and being in student government I got so sick of hearing
from administrators like Wayland Winstead that we have to shut down or cut
such and such because it was costing the University money. I now tell them
to just shut down the Library because it costs the University $4.5 million a
year if they are going to think that narrow mindedly in the short term.

The University doesn't need a ANOTHER golf course. It doesn't need buildings
in Boise and Coeur d' Alene. It doesn't need 5 recreational buildings, two
golf courses, the world's largest plastic climbing wall, and 200 sports
programs. It doesn't need a taxi service to drive drunk students .5 of mile
from the bar to Greek Row. It doesn't need to be involved in business deals
and property investments. It should not be in the business of trying to put
BSU, NIC, Albertson's, and LCSC out of business. It is a school, it needs to
focus on education, providing services, and attending to the future needs of
the state.

The University Administration has become GREEDY and this behavior of the
Hoover Goonies needs to stop before the University and the State is so broke
it cannot even offer Idahoans an education beyond 2 years of college.

The way to do this is to get rid of the Business oriented people and replace
them with education minded people. Put the UI Teachers in charge.

Donovan J Arnold
UI Alumni (00-03)
Former ASUI Senator(01-03)