[Vision2020] Mock Trial - Logos Performance

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco@moscow.com
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:13:42 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0049_01C4230D.00C8C080

Ben, Drew, Don, et al,

A call to the police comes in at 2:00am.  Ronny Krauts is found dead at the
bottom of a steep flight of unlit concrete stairs in a college off-campus
drinking area.  A witness says that he saw a young woman dressed in jeans and a
BSU sweatshirt run from the scene just after hearing a yell and seeing poor
Ronny tumble to his death.  Ten minutes later a police cruiser sees, then
apprehends Penny Stone, clad in jeans and a BSU sweatshirt.  Penny is quite
drunk and somewhat incoherent.

The police interrogate Stone.  For a long time she denies any knowledge of the
matter.  She is not given her Miranda warning.  She asks for an attorney, but is
refused.  The grueling interrogation lasts for 10 hours.  During the entire 10
hours, Stone, who is menstruating and still highly intoxicated, is not allowed
to use the bathroom, have a drink of water, or to tend to herself in anyway
despite numerous requests.

Finally, in excruciating pain and distress and no longer able to hold off
tending to her needs, Stone confesses, answering simply "Yes" to a police
suggestion that she followed and pushed Krauts down the stairs because he
threatened to expose cheating by her on a course exam.  Stone is charged with
first degree murder.  After her confession, Stone is allowed to tend to her
needs and to call an attorney.  After talking to her attorney, Stone makes no
further statements to the police except to repudiate her confession.  Stone is
held without bail until her trial.

During a pretrial evidence suppression hearing Stone's attorney argues
successfully using current U.S. Supreme Court case law that all verbal
statements and other evidence gathered during the interrogation and all evidence
that was gathered using in any way the statements of Stone made during the
interrogation be suppressed.  Therefore, any reference to these matters during
the entire trial is clearly and unmistakably not allowable under the Rules of
Evidence.

During the trial, the prosecutor asks a witness who is a law enforcement officer
and who was present during the interrogation, "Didn't the defendant Stone
confess to this brutal murder during an interrogation at which you were present"
?

Stone's attorney immediately objects, asks for an assignment of prejudicial
misconduct, a finding of and a penalty for contempt of court, and a mistrial.
The judge, naturally, grants all the defendant's attorney's requests.

Was the conduct of the prosecutor in this case ethical?  Honest?  Intended to
insure a fair adjudication?  Obviously not!

Not only did the prosecutor ask a leading question on direct examination (not
allowed unless the witness has been declared hostile by the judge), but far
worse, asks an extremely prejudicial question explicitly not allowed by a clear
ruling on the Rules of Evidence.  The obvious result of the prosecutor's
behavior, had the judge allowed the trial to continue, would have been the
denial of a fair trial to Stone.

A naïve person might say, "No harm done.  Stone will get a new trial."

Except that Stone now must pay for the time expended during the aborted trial by
her attorney, i.e. choosing a jury, sitting through part of the prosecution's
presentations, etc.  It is not unusual for a skilled trial attorney specializing
in capital cases to get $500 per hour at trial - a steep price for Stone to have
to pay for the prosecutor's egregious misconduct.

A naïve person might also say: "The prosecutor did the right thing.  Stone
confessed, therefore she was guilty.  The prosecutor was right to try to sneak
the evidence in through the back door."

Review the facts above and the conditions under which the confession was
coerced.  The truth and validity of any confession extracted under those
conditions is very doubtful.  U.S. Supreme Court case law has clearly and
strongly ruled such.

Any person on trial for any crime, especially a capital crime, deserves a fair
trail.  The Rules of Evidence are a very important part of the apparatus
designed to insure fair trails.  Any violation of these rules denies a defendant
a fair trail.  Any knowing violation of these is not only deceitful, cheating,
and dishonest but an indefensible attempt to pervert the fundamental reasons for
having a justice system.

Let's examine the Logos controversy in the above light.  (Sentences in quotes
are from the news article.)

Logos students (to their credit) were very familiar with the Rules of Evidence:

"Displaying a firm grasp of Idaho Rules of Evidence.  Both teams cited code
sections several times."

The Logos team, therefore, knowingly and repeatedly violated the Rules of
Evidence:

"Asking a witness a question knowing the judge will rule it stricken, but
getting it before the jury at least once.  The Logos team did that a few times."

The behavior of the Logos team in the mock trial was no less unethical,
dishonest, and prejudicial in principle than the conduct of the prosecutor in
the example given above.  Such conduct perverts the ends of justice by
subverting a fair trial.  It is conduct to be condemned, not lauded, ignored, or
excused.

"Ah, Fox", you smugly say, "You are very naïve.  Real attorneys do this all the
time.  It is almost standard practice".

Yes, many attorneys do stoop to this kind of dishonest, unethical behavior.
Excusing, ignoring, and/or even cheering cheating and dishonesty because every
one else does it is not a justification of such depraved behavior, but merely an
ignorant rationalization.  Fact:  such behavior is not only against the Rules of
Evidence but also against the Canons of Ethics of the bar.

I spent several years in Boundary County, Idaho observing the justice system.  I
saw many proceedings, knew and talked with many principals, including two judges
with whom I was (and still am) friends.  I was disgusted at the cheating and
dishonesty that occurred during the adjudication process.  I know the court
clerks who attended many more of these of these proceedings than I did felt even
more strongly about it than I.

I believe the general public holds many attorneys in very low esteem in part
because of the transparent dishonesty exhibited by their breaking and bending
the court rules.  I know that judges in their private opinions and conversations
hold an even lower view of certain attorneys who resort to such tactics.  In
fact, resorting to such tactics tells an experienced judge that the attorney
thinks his case is weak and most likely believes in his heart of hearts that his
client should justifiably lose his case.

Drew, I would hope that if it is your aspiration to become an attorney (if so, I
hope you are successful) that you pledge to honestly play by all the rules at
all times because the rules are there to provide all a fair trail because you
believe a fair trail is a most important part of the justice system.  A skilled,
honest, lawyer can generally achieve his goals without resulting to cheating and
dishonesty.

I mean no disrespect for the Mock Trail competition.  All teams who participate
in the finals have obviously worked hard and have learned and achieved a great
deal.

That said, I do not condone the cheating and dishonesty implicit in knowingly
and repeatedly violating the Rules of Evidence in any trial, real or mock.  Such
knowing violations are a very real deterrent to and a clear renunciation of the
principle of the entitlement of a fair trial, a fundamental right of all in my
opinion.

When a school such as Logos, masquerading as Christian, by knowingly using
dishonest, deceitful tactics thinks that they have done something wonderful in
winning a competition, I am greatly saddened and fearful.

If I read the teachings of Jesus correctly, cheating and dishonesty is
forbidden.

I am also saddened and fearful when an apparently honest person such as Drew
does not yet see the dishonesty in denying a fair adjudication by repeated,
willful, knowledgeable violations of the rules.  I only hope that upon
consideration Drew will see the matter differently and will come to see denying
a fair adjudication by willful violations of the rules as dishonesty and
cheating and something not only to be avoided but censured.

Let me repeat:

For Palouse area residents, the real subtext of the news article at issue is
"Send your children to Logos.  We'll teach them how to prevail by cheating and
dishonesty if necessary."

Art Deco  (Wayne Fox)
deco@moscow.com