[Vision2020] Case closed: Future lawyers in training -- Moscow school wins mock trial competition against Bishop Kelly

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco@moscow.com
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:02:03 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_00AB_01C41E32.DA4F88A0

Ben, et al,

Did you read the entire article that Dale posted?

For example, the following:

"But an hour before, the teams looked like the real things arguing a capital
murder case involving a dog mauling, with all the subtleties seen in a real
courtroom. Such as:
. Asking a witness a question knowing the judge will rule it stricken, but
getting it before the jury at least once. The Logos team did that a few times."

The is exactly the kind of unethical, underhanded behavior that causes the
populace to rank some lawyers [and all Christ Church Cult Leaders] below the
bottom rung of the integrity ladder.

The message of such conduct is "Prevail at any cost; the hell with the truth and
the rules."  Maybe such telling conduct is appropriate on the football field but
in courts of law where the dispensation of justice is attempted and where real
people's lives and property are at stake, such conduct seems not only immoral
and depraved but counter-productive to foundational goals of and the very reason
for the existence of those courts of law.

It is obvious that the Logos students worked hard and performed effectively.  I
might have congratulated these perhaps well-intentioned but misled young folks
for their effort and for winning had they in the process refused to follow their
instructors' obviously unscrupulous, dishonorable, though not unexpected
tutelage.

The real subtext of the news article is "Send your children to Logos.  We'll
teach them how to prevail by cheating and dishonesty."

Note from the quote of the news article that the Logos team cheated not only
once but "a few times".

It is too bad the opposition team did not ask for an assignment of prejudicial
misconduct and a finding of contempt against the Logos team.  Had they done so,
the outcome of the contest might have been different.

Logos will proudly hang their victory banner [probably appropriately near the
large portrait of Robert E. Lee].  In a few weeks the fecal stench of the
dishonorable, unprincipled way it was won will be just small, unpleasant,
nagging itch (if that) which in further time will be repressed entirely.  The
final paean will be "We won!  We won!  We're the greatest!" not the more
accurate "We cheated!  We won!  We're the sneakiest!".

I am very saddened for our community and for the courts of law though hardly
surprised that a law student who masquerades as a Christian would find Logos'
conduct in this case laudable.  But Oh, Yes!  You are a graduate of Logos --
ethical viewpoint explained.  Is Logos' dishonest conduct excused by the
Doctrine of Covenantal Lying or is there another justification?

Wayne

Art Deco  (Wayne Fox)
deco@moscow.com