[Vision2020] The Saga Begins to Unfold

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:46:48 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0003_01C41C96.028306B0

Tom writes:

>-- AP: Witnesses say U.S. helicopter fire hits mosque in Fallujah, Iraq.
>Fatalities reported.

>I realize that the mosque may have been a "safe haven" for Shiite
>revolutionaries.  But, I believe that bombing a religious building will =
only
>serve to fuel their fire.

>I heard on this morning's news (NBC's Today Show) that more and more Shi=
ites
>are banding together with more and more Suunis to fight against the US.
>Couple this with funding by Al Queda (this just started recently).

What is the strategic purpose of terrorism?  To provoke dramatic and indi=
scriminate reprisals.  The larger Shiite population, and the bulk of Sunn=
is as well, are not affiliated with any terrorist or guerrilla group, jus=
t like you and I are not affiliated with the Montana Freemen.  By blowing=
 up mosques and inadvertantly whacking civilians, even though we're not d=
irectly targeting non-combatants, we do just what the terrorists want us =
to do.  We make ourselves look large, clumsy, careless and dangerous, and=
 we drive ordinary people into the arms of radicals.   =20

Yes, the mosque was a "safe haven" for some very bad people, but why do w=
e think they chose to hide out there rather than at the local falafel sta=
nd?  Because it would look bad when we blew it up.  Conventional warfare =
is about attrition; men fight and die on both sides until one force is co=
nsiderably weaker than the other.  Then, the weaker force is either wiped=
 out completely or it negotiates a surrender.  Terrorists are already wea=
ker than their opponent.  They know this, and so what they try to do is t=
urn their enemy's strength against him.  We're not fighting a conventiona=
l war in Iraq; we're fighting terrorists and guerrillas.  If we insist on=
 using conventional tactics, then even when we win, we lose.

Wait . . . my psychic powers have allowed me to anticipate Pat Kraut's qu=
estion: do you think we should just sit back and do nothing?!  The answer=
, Pat, is no.  We shouldn't sit back and do nothing, though nothing would=
 be preferable to doing exactly what Osama bin Laden and al Sadr hoped we=
 would.  The war against terror is about shutting off Al Qaeda's funding,=
 closing their safe havens, and stemming the flow of new recruits.  The w=
ar in Iraq is about winning the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people and =
about offering them a viable and constructive alternative to joining the =
guerrillas.  The former is primarily police work which, Law & Order aside=
, is not glamorous; the latter is about a long campaign of building trust=
, creating safety, and generating jobs, also not glamorous.  =20

Though idiots like Kathleen Parker have suggested nuking the Sunni Triang=
le, the truth is that there is no quick fix.  We cannot bomb the Arab wor=
ld into democracy -- certainly not while maintaining a steady oil supply.=
   =20

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment     Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explo=
rer download : http://explorer.msn.com

------=_NextPart_001_0003_01C41C96.028306B0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>Tom writes:</D=
IV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&gt;-- AP: Witnesses say U.S. helicopter fire =
hits mosque in Fallujah, Iraq.<BR>&gt;Fatalities reported.<BR><BR>&gt;I r=
ealize that the mosque may have been a "safe haven" for Shiite<BR>&gt;rev=
olutionaries.&nbsp; But, I believe that bombing a religious building will=
 only<BR>&gt;serve to fuel their fire.<BR><BR>&gt;I heard on this morning=
's news (NBC's Today Show) that more and more Shiites<BR>&gt;are banding =
together with more and more Suunis to fight against the US.<BR>&gt;Couple=
 this with funding by Al Queda (this just started recently).<BR><BR></DIV=
> <DIV>What is&nbsp;the strategic&nbsp;purpose of terrorism?&nbsp; To pro=
voke dramatic and indiscriminate reprisals.&nbsp;&nbsp;The larger Shiite =
population, and&nbsp;the bulk of Sunnis as well, are not affiliated with =
any terrorist or guerrilla group, just like you and I are not affiliated =
with the Montana Freemen.&nbsp;&nbsp;By blowing up mosques and inadvertan=
tly whacking civilians, even though we're not directly targeting non-comb=
atants,&nbsp;we do just what the terrorists want us to do.&nbsp; We make =
ourselves look large, clumsy, careless and dangerous, and we drive ordina=
ry people into the arms of radicals.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;<=
/DIV> <DIV>Yes, the mosque was a "safe haven" for some&nbsp;very bad peop=
le, but why do we think they&nbsp;chose to hide out there rather than at&=
nbsp;the local falafel stand?&nbsp; Because it would look bad when we ble=
w it up.&nbsp; Conventional warfare is about attrition; men fight and die=
 on both sides until one force is considerably weaker than the other.&nbs=
p; Then, the weaker&nbsp;force is either wiped out completely or it negot=
iates a surrender.&nbsp; Terrorists are already weaker than their opponen=
t.&nbsp; They know this, and so what they try to do is turn their enemy's=
 strength against him.&nbsp; We're not fighting a conventional war in Ira=
q; we're fighting terrorists and guerrillas.&nbsp; If we insist on using =
conventional tactics, then&nbsp;even when we win,&nbsp;we&nbsp;lose.</DIV=
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Wait . . . my psychic powers have allowed me to&=
nbsp;anticipate Pat Kraut's question: do you think we should just sit bac=
k and do nothing?!&nbsp; The answer, Pat, is no.&nbsp; We shouldn't sit b=
ack and do nothing, though nothing would be preferable to doing exactly w=
hat Osama bin Laden and al Sadr hoped we would.&nbsp; The war against ter=
ror is about shutting off&nbsp;Al Qaeda's funding, closing their safe hav=
ens, and stemming the flow of new recruits.&nbsp; The war in Iraq is abou=
t winning the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people and about offering the=
m a viable and constructive alternative to joining the guerrillas.&nbsp; =
The former is primarily police work which, Law&nbsp;&amp; Order aside, is=
 not glamorous; the latter is about a long campaign of building trust, cr=
eating safety, and generating jobs, also not glamorous.&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>=
 <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Though idiots like Kathleen Parker have suggested=
 nuking the Sunni Triangle, the truth is that there is no quick fix.&nbsp=
; We cannot bomb the Arab world into democracy -- certainly not while mai=
ntaining a steady oil supply.&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>J=
oan Opyr/Auntie Establishment&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV></BODY></HTML=

------=_NextPart_001_0003_01C41C96.028306B0--