[Vision2020] Faculty Salaries

Tom Trail ttrail@moscow.com
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 21:11:04 -0700

Visionaires:

On March 1st I sent a letter to Governor Kempthorne (full text of the letter
is on my website).  The basic essence was my pointing out the impact that
the barebones budget for higher education was and would have on
Higher Education
this year and next.   I proposed that the Governor press forward and ask
JFAC to utilize $5-6 million from the estimated $65 million surplus economists
feel we will have to carry over to FY05.  This initiative would, at least,
help salvage some of the programs and positions under fire at the U.  of Idaho
and at other institutions.

The Governor (in his reply) said, "The higher education budget, which affects
our colleges and universities represent an increase over last year.
Our state is facing tought economic times and all facets of
government have been asked
to conserve where possible.  Conservation is what I reflected in my budget
proposal."  This is certainly not an adequate response to what we are facing
in Higher Education.

The Governor in his budget called for full funding of a 2% raise for faculty
and staff.  This increase has normally come from a general appropriation from
the General Fund.  However, this year the Governor changed policy and called
for only 70% of the salary increases to come from the General Fund
($3.1 million)  The remaining 30% was to come from student fees ($1.1
million)
and endowment funds ($500,000).   This not only hit students hard with an
8.8% fee increase but endowment funds were down.

I find it interesting that the Governor continues to speak about an increase
for Higher Education.  We have dramatically reduced support for
higher education.  In the last 10 years state support for higher
education increased 49% while the state general fund appropriation
increaseed 75%.  Student fees
increased 118% over the same time period.  These figures come from
the economists who serve as advisors for JFAC.

The budget this year did not provide universities and colleges anything for the
basic occupancy costs of new buildings.  No funding was provided for
enrollment growth leaving the universities $2.7 million short.
Nothing was provided for
increased utility costs.  The budget also requires universities to cut
elsewhere to deal with the $1.9 million shortfall in state endowment funds.

Morale is low at all levels.   Data that I've obtained from the U. of Idaho
indicates that about 20% of classified staff is at or below the poverty level.
Two years without a salary increase and with uncertainty about an increase
if any for 05 certainly in another factor driving morale to lower levels.

In his first two State of the State addresses in his career, Governor
Kempthorne
vigorously beat the drums for Higher Education and touted the value of under-
graduate and graduate education as the essential factor in developing the
workforce needed to run Idaho's businesses and industry.  The vigor of these
speeches has diminished in recent years.

I still feel that pressure must be directed on the Governor and leadership
to utilize some of the surplus to at least stabilize the economic condition
at our institutions of Higher Education, and I will continue to do so.

Rep. Tom Trail
--
Dr. Tom Trail
International Trails