[Vision2020] Fw: Iraq

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco@moscow.com
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 14:38:27 -0700

Pat, et al,

===============================
THE DAILY MIS-LEAD
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=2415934&l=26544
===============================

New Evidence Bush Pushed Iraq War Right After 9/11

The White House continues to deny that the president immediately began planning
an invasion of Iraq in the days after 9/11, calling such charges "revisionist
history" (1) and claiming Iraq was "to the side"(2)  immediately after the
attacks. But new revelations by a former top British official confirm that,
immediately after 9/11, President Bush started planning to use the terrorist
attacks as a justification for war in Iraq, despite having no proof that Iraq
had any connection to Al Qaeda or 9/11. (3)

According to a report in the new edition of Vanity Fair, former British
Ambassador to the United States Christopher Meyer said that President Bush made
clear at a dinner (4) with Prime Minister Tony Blair nine days after the 9/11
attacks that he wanted to confront Iraq. The assertion is corroborated by the
Washington Post, which reported that President Bush personally signed a
two-and-a-half page directive on September 17th, 2001 ordering the Pentagon to
begin drawing up Iraq invasion plans. (5) The assertion is also corroborated by
CBS News, which reported on September 4, 2002 that, five hours after the 9/11
attacks, "Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld was telling his aides to come up
with plans for striking Iraq."(6) The account by the former British Ambassador
confirms similar accounts by former Bush counterterrorism chief Richard Clarke
and former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill.

The result of President Bush's preoccupation with Iraq has been dramatic: the
diversion of critical resources to Iraq and away from the hunt for Osama bin
Laden/Al Qaeda in Afghanistan. As reported by USA Today, "In 2002, troops from
the 5th Special Forces Group who specialize in the Middle East were pulled out
of the hunt for Osama bin Laden in Afghanistan to prepare for their next
assignment: Iraq." (7) Similarly, Senator Bob Graham (D-FL) reported that, in
February 2002, a senior military commander told him, "We are moving military and
intelligence personnel and resources out of Afghanistan to get ready for a
future war in Iraq." (8) That has left many dangerous terrorists still at large,
and the UN now reporting that the country is "in danger of reverting to a
terrorist breeding ground." (9)

Read More about Bush Administration Distortion at Misleader.org ğ
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=2415934&l=26544

Sources:

1.  White House Press Briefing, 3/23/04,
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=2415934&l=26545.

2. "Neither Silent Nor a Public Witness,"  Washington Post, 3/26/04,
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=2415934&l=26546.

3. " Doubts cast on efforts to link Saddam, al-Qaida,"   Knight-Ridder, 3/2/04,
 http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=2415934&l=26547

4. "Report Details Bush-Blair Meeting on Iraq,"  Associated Press, 4/4/04,
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=2415934&l=26548

5. "U.S. Decision On Iraq Has Puzzling Past,"   Washington Post, 1/12/03,
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=2415934&l=26549

6. "Plans For Iraq Attack Began On 9/11," CBS News, 9/4/02,
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=2415934&l=26550

7. Shifts from bin Laden hunt evoke questions," USA Today, 3/28/04,
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=2415934&l=26551

8. Senator Bob Graham Remarks to the Council on Foreign Relations," Council on
Foreign Relations, 3/26/04, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=2415934&l=26552

9. "UN warns on Aghanistan reverting to terrorism ," Financial Times, 3/28/04,
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=2415934&l=26553

listed there.