[Vision2020] UI SPONSORS "WRITING ON THE WALL" PROJECT

Tom Hansen thansen@moscow.com
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:38:05 -0700

>From Today@Idaho

UI this month is sponsoring the "Writing on the Wall" project aimed at
confronting oppression and discrimination head-on, brick-by-brick. An
8-foot-by-24-foot wall of cinderblocks will be constructed starting Monday,
April 5, in front of the Idaho Commons. Participants will illustrate on
separate blocks an event in their lives representing an act of
discrimination, a crime or act of inhumanity.

"This monument is being built so that we remember and witness clearly the
'writing on the wall'," said Leathia Botello of the Office of Multicultural
Affairs. On Tuesday, April 6, the Office of Multicultural Affairs will
present "Bringing Down Your Wall" at 11:30 a.m. in the Commons Courtyard. On
Friday, April 9, the wall will come down at noon. Nearly 1,000 feet of rope
will be attached to the cinderblocks in preparation for the "tear down,"
says UI student Jennifer Dion, project co-coordinator. "When all those in
attendance pull in unison, the wall collapses and presents how we can work
in unison to overcome oppression."