[Vision2020] Iraq on the brink of civil war?

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@msn.com
Mon, 05 Apr 2004 09:13:33 -0700

Dear Pat,

I'm not sure where you get your news, but in *this* universe Iraq was
completely uninvolved in the terrorist attacks on the U.S.  You're thinking
of Saudi Arabia, maybe?  Nearly all the terrorists involved in the September
11th attacks were Saudis.

And if genocide is on your mind, or on the radar screen of national policy,
why aren't we in Sudan at this very moment, attending to the horrific
slaughter of ethnic Africans in Darfur?  Where were we during the nine years
of civil war in Sierra Leone, during which thousands of children had their
hands and feet cut off as punishment or threat to their parents?

Why did we do nothing as the Taliban systematically destroyed Afghanistan?
Oh, wait, we didn't do nothing--we tried to negotiate an oil pipeline with
the Taliban, while we turned a blind eye to the mindnumbingly horrible
violations of women's civil rights in that country.

Terrible things are happening all over the world.  The U.S is doing almost
nothing about nearly all of them.  So what made Iraq the absolute top
priority?  Was military action the only option?  And whatever our reason,
was it worth so many lives--Iraqi and U.S.?

We should be using our power, our affluence, and our influence to make peace
throughout the world.  Instead, we are spreading chaos, and the seeds of our
own destruction.

Melynda Huskey

More information about Sudan:
http://hrw.org/english/docs/2004/04/02/sudan8389.htm

Persistent heartburn? Check out Digestive Health & Wellness for information
and advice. http://gerd.msn.com/default.asp