[Vision2020] Air America

Rodna Hansen rodna@moscow.com
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 08:26:25 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C4188C.30255EA0

Al Franken and others are launching a major new progressive radio =
network this week. It's a big and exciting development, so before we get =
to a message from him, we want to share the details.=20

If you're in LA, Portland, New York, or Chicago, you'll be able to hear =
Air America programming starting this minute. And the daily lineup is =
pretty juicy: three hours of Al Franken on "The O'Franken Factor," plus =
Janeane Garofalo, Chuck D, Daily Show co-creator Lizz Winstead, and =
Robert F. Kennedy Jr. on the weekends. Air America's got big plans for =
expansion, but for now if you're not in one of those areas, you can =
listen in on the web at:
http://www.airamericaradio.com=20

One of the big aims of this new radio network is to counter the claims =
of right-wing politicians and media figures. When a major right-wing =
figure says something misleading or something so full of holes it can =
only be described as dumb, Al Franken and other Air America hosts will =
call them out on it. A great example is Donald Rumsfeld claiming that he =
never used the phrase "immediate threat" to describe Iraq -- and then =
getting caught on national television. (That footage is online at =
http://www.moveon.org/censure/caughtonvideo/)=20

We can help them out. We're teaming up with Franken on a contest to find =
the stupidest or most clearly false (or preferably both) statement by a =
major right-wing figure or Bush administration official. Over the next =
week, any stupid or misleading comment you hear on the radio or see on =
TV is fair game as an entry. If your comment is selected by Al Franken =
as the winner, you'll receive a personalized and autographed copy of Al =
Franken's book "Lies and the Lying Liars that Tell Them," and you'll be =
recognized on-air.=20

You can read the complete rules and submit as many quotes as you like =
at:
http://www.moveon.org/franken/=20

But enough details. Here's Al:=20

  It's my honor to team up with MoveOn.org, which I am told has made use =
of the Internet to great effect. While I myself do not have an Internet, =
my son does, and he says you guys are terrific.=20
  Here's the deal. My job is rhetorical jiu-jitsu: I take the words of =
right-wing jerks, and I use those words to heap scorn and ridicule upon =
them. It's what I do. And I need your help. These guys say so many =
stupid and dishonest things every day that no one man possibly can sift =
through all of them. I need you to be my eyes and ears, so that no =
right-wing ideologue can ever again safely traffic in distortion and =
calumny.=20

  Yea, I say unto thee. Let the flaming sword of justice rain down blows =
upon them, that they may rue the day when this contest was announced.=20

  The future of our nation rests in your hands. Good luck!=20

  --Al Franken=20

Enjoy the contest.

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C4188C.30255EA0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P>Al Franken and others are launching a major new progressive radio =
network=20
this week. It's a big and exciting development, so before we get to a =
message=20
from him, we want to share the details.=20
<P>If you're in LA, Portland, New York, or Chicago, you'll be able to =
hear Air=20
America programming starting this minute. And the daily lineup is pretty =
juicy:=20
three hours of Al Franken on "The O'Franken Factor," plus Janeane =
Garofalo,=20
Chuck D, Daily Show co-creator Lizz Winstead, and Robert F. Kennedy Jr. =
on the=20
weekends. Air America's got big plans for expansion, but for now if =
you're not=20
in one of those areas, you can listen in on the web at:<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.airamericaradio.com/">http://www.airamericaradio.com</=
A>=20
<P>One of the big aims of this new radio network is to counter the =
claims of=20
right-wing politicians and media figures. When a major right-wing figure =
says=20
something misleading or something so full of holes it can only be =
described as=20
dumb, Al Franken and other Air America hosts will call them out on it. A =
great=20
example is Donald Rumsfeld claiming that he never used the phrase =
"immediate=20
threat" to describe Iraq -- and then getting caught on national =
television.=20
(That footage is online at <A=20
href=3D"http://www.moveon.org/censure/caughtonvideo/">http://www.moveon.o=
rg/censure/caughtonvideo/</A>)=20

<P>We can help them out. We're teaming up with Franken on a contest to =
find the=20
stupidest or most clearly false (or preferably both) statement by a =
major=20
right-wing figure or Bush administration official. Over the next week, =
any=20
stupid or misleading comment you hear on the radio or see on TV is fair =
game as=20
an entry. If your comment is selected by Al Franken as the winner, =
you'll=20
receive a personalized and autographed copy of Al Franken's book "Lies =
and the=20
Lying Liars that Tell Them," and you'll be recognized on-air.=20
<P>You can read the complete rules and submit as many quotes as you like =

at:<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.moveon.org/franken/">http://www.moveon.org/franken/</A=
>=20
<P>But enough details. Here's Al:=20
<P>
<UL>It's my honor to team up with MoveOn.org, which I am told has made =
use of=20
  the Internet to great effect. While I myself do not have an Internet, =
my son=20
  does, and he says you guys are terrific.=20
  <P>Here's the deal. My job is rhetorical jiu-jitsu: I take the words =
of=20
  right-wing jerks, and I use those words to heap scorn and ridicule =
upon them.=20
  It's what I do. And I need your help. These guys say so many stupid =
and=20
  dishonest things every day that no one man possibly can sift through =
all of=20
  them. I need you to be my eyes and ears, so that no right-wing =
ideologue can=20
  ever again safely traffic in distortion and calumny.=20
  <P>Yea, I say unto thee. Let the flaming sword of justice rain down =
blows upon=20
  them, that they may rue the day when this contest was announced.=20
  <P>The future of our nation rests in your hands. Good luck!=20
  <P>--Al Franken </P></UL>
<P>Enjoy the contest.</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C4188C.30255EA0--