[Vision2020] Vandal Football - The Dark Side

Jack Van Deventer jack@moscowUSA.com
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:20:13 -0700

It's pretty simple to say that the only problem with Vandal football is the
coach and that the players are topnotch caliber otherwise.  That's quite a
stretch.  I don't think anyone, least of all Coach Cable, has any illusions
about the prospects of a coaching change at the end of the season.  I'll say
this about Cable, he's taken a lot of abuse for the Vandal's poor
performance and he's taken responsibility for it.  He's shown fairly good
character given the circumstances.

The reality is that the Vandals were picked by the Sporting News as "the
worst team in the nation" this year and that was *before* the losses to EWU,
BSU, UW, and Montana.  Last year, Sports Illustrated's pre-season rankings
also listed them as the worst in the nation.

The fan support is gone.  The Kibbie Dome wasn't even full for the BSU game
even with the presence of 1800 BSU fans.  Speculation in the statewide media
is that the Vandals will lose their I-A status because of new NCAA
regulations taking effect next season which require 15,000 average
attendance at home games.  It'll never happen unless the Vandals turn things
around by next season.  Even then, it's iffy.

Lastly, the Sporting News is hinting that Mike Price might be a candidate
for the anticipated opening at Idaho.  He knows the area, knows how to
recruit, and he still has a cabin in Coeur d'Alene.  You have to admit, even
in a winless season, Vandal football is always interesting.

Jack
Jack Van Deventer
jack@moscowUSA.com