[Vision2020] "Do Not Call" bill passes

John Danahy jdanahy@turbonet.com
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:59:51 -0700

Actually, I have seen hard liquor ads on TV.  Jack Daniels
John

-----Original Message-----
From: vision2020-admin@moscow.com [mailto:vision2020-admin@moscow.com] On
Behalf Of Robert Dickow
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 1:22 PM
To: 'Vision2020'
Subject: Re: [Vision2020] "Do Not Call" bill passes

I'm not sure about the Constitutional violation, but it seems
to me that we often restrict 'free speech' when
the other interests of a community are considered.
We can't advertise cigarettes and hard liquor on TV
any more, for example, nor on billboards. The greater
good was considered in passing these restrictions.

One thing to consider about telephone solicitations
is that the calls could be considered to 'enter the
household' where a hard border can be raised in order
to protect the right to personal privacy over the
right to 'free speech' of the caller.

Properly configured, I see no breach of Constitutional
rights here.

Bob Dickow