[Vision2020] Global Warming

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:04:08 -0700

<P>Josh,</P>
<P>You watch way to many John Wayne movies: "Fascinating. You know, the Indians thought it was just fine to drive huge herds of buffalo off the cliffs. (I've been to some of the cliffs in Alberta Canada. Thousands of buffalo died at one time, and only a few of them were eaten)."</P></DIV>
<P>Were the&nbsp;buffalo still laying there when you got there? :)</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>It might shock you to hear this, but most, if not all of the buffalo were eaten&nbsp;and/or used. Buffalo were used for everything, not just food. Even the blatter was used. </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>It was in fact white immigrants that came to the United States that wiped&nbsp;out the buffalo for no reason other than to keep them off the railroad tracks.</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Indians would not wipe out their only source of food, clothes, tools, and everything else.</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>White immigrants use to shoot buffalo out the&nbsp;windows of trains for the fun&nbsp;and&nbsp;leave the carcass there to rot.&nbsp;</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>"When I think of the modern-day examples of "primitive" tribes, they would never have developed any sort of concern for animals."</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>"Primitive"? I don't think so. They could live on a lot less than we could. Furthermore, these so called primitive tribes people have 99.996% the same DNA as&nbsp;you and I do.</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Donovan J Arnold&nbsp;<BR><BR></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: Joshua Nieuwsma <JOSHUAHENDRIK@YAHOO.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: Troy Merrill <TROY1@MOSCOW.COM>, vision <VISION2020@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Global Warming
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:08:11 -0700 (PDT)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Fascinating. You know, the Indians thought it was just fine to drive huge herds of buffalo off the cliffs. (I've been to some of the cliffs in Alberta Canada. Thousands of buffalo died at one time, and only a few of them were eaten). So should we copy the ethics of the noble savages and apply them to the big game hunting industry and call it sport hunting? The indians sure thought it was a thrill to kill thousands of creatures at once and not make use of most of them.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;If humans have really lived together for 100,000 years or so, and during that time developed ethics, I wonder that we are here at all. When I think of the modern-day examples of "primitive" tribes, they would never have developed any sort of concern for animals. They had enough to try to keep themselves alive in the vicious tribal wars. So why did we?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;So would you say, then, that the underlying "law" or "principle" is that "placing some restraint on individual behavior increases the fitness of the group as a whole"? If so, why?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Besides the fact that there are way too many examples of cruelty in history for me to believe that men just naturally want to be ethical to one another. Rather I think men just naturally want to be cruel to one another. Each man for himself is what evolution tells them.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;got to go for today...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;-Joshua Nieuwsma
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Do you Yahoo!?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>