[Vision2020] Global Warming

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:21:07 -0700

<P>In the article it says:</P>
<P>"Large ice islands also calved off from the shelf and some are large enough to be dangerous to shipping and to drilling platforms in the Beaufort Sea."</P>
<P>Maybe we can convience the oil industry that global&nbsp;warming is harmful because&nbsp;it prevents drilling and shipping of oil. If they don't care about the earth, maybe they will care about their oil.&nbsp; Of course putting 3/4 of the world's population underwater might also hurt the economy and the oil market as well.</P>
<P>Donovan J Arnold&nbsp;<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Troy Merrill" <TROY1@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: "Dan Carscallen" <PREDATOR75@MOSCOW.COM>, <VISION2020@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Global Warming
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:34:10 -0700
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Mr. Carscallen,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;It is true that global climate is cyclical, there have been several warm and cold periods (ice ages) over the last several hundred thousand years. The difference between the warming that is occuring now and previous warming events is its rate - the climate is warming much faster than in previous events - and that it is the result of human activities - primarily burning fossil fuels. The other big difference is there were not several billion humans living in areas that are likely to be flooded when the oceans rise during previous warming events. Perhaps I'm just a softie but I think we probably have some obligations to those folks.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Troy Merrill
<DIV></DIV>&gt; ----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>&gt; From: Dan Carscallen
<DIV></DIV>&gt; To: vision2020@moscow.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 6:24 PM
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Global Warming
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Tom said:
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;Well, you now what this means?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;No size restrictions and screw the limit! Let's go fishing.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Agreed, Tom.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; The earth used to be a lot warmer back in the time of the dinosaurs, and it's been a heckuva lot colder. It's all cyclic, we just happen to be in between "ages". Are we also supposed to keep the tectonic plates still because the continents shouldn't be moving either?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; DC