[Vision2020] Re: Cloning

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:01:07 -0700

<P>LuJane,</P>
<P>It was me, not Dale that first brought this up. Dale is a Libertarian I think, have to ask him.</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>My objections are not so much with the cloning of animals, although I am for other reasons. It is the building of the technology to clone humans.</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>If you could clone humans this would disastrous to many people. First, a child would not have their own identity, it would belong to their father. This is unfair and wrong to that child. </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Second, it would lead to identity theft of many people. People could steal a lock of hair from a famous athlete and clone them so they could make money off the child. 100,000's of parents already try to train their children to be pro-tennis, basketball, and golf players. Imagine if they could get DNA from Tiger Woods.</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Third, you would have ego maniacs cloning themselves. Do we really want another 8 Michael Jacksons, Bill Clintons, and George Bushs? I sure don't. </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Fourth, you would see other people we don't want to see, like the cloning of Adolph Hitler, Lenin, and Pol Pot.</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Finally, people would use it to clone parts for themselves. Kill the brain stem at an early age, and grow arms, legs, and other parts. </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>The problem with messing with animals is that we end up limiting the gene pool of animals to fit only human needs and put the species at risk of extinction when we find something better and don't need them anymore.</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>I see lots of problems that can be created. Even if the US and most of European nations make it illegal, it doesn't stop people from doing it in other countries that see a benefit in stealing DNA from others.</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Donovan J Arnold<BR><BR></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Tom Hansen" <THANSEN@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Reply-To: <THANSEN@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: "LuJane Nisse" <LUJANE@LATAHEAGLE.COM>, <VISION2020@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: RE: [Vision2020] Re: Cloning
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:04:35 -0700
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I believe this brings up a very interesting question:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Is it the actual conduct of cloning animals (mules or humans) or the reasons
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;(which may validate or invalidate clining) for the research that evolves
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;into cloning of animals which become ethically (or otherwise) objectionable
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;to some? Simply put: Does the ends justify the means?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;For some people who have not experienced a loved one with cancer or
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;diabetes, the practice of cloning may appear to be questionable at best.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Those of us who have experienced living with a family member who has
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;contracted cancer or diabetes may find it less objectionable.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I feel that anything that either soothes/ends major pain or extends life is
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;worth the practice and research.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Just my two cents,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Tom Hansen
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Moscow, Idaho
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;_____________________________________________________
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; List services made available by First Step Internet,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; serving the communities of the Palouse since 1994.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; http://www.fsr.net
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt; mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>