[Vision2020] local media

bill london london@moscow.com
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:52:37 -0700

We do not often get the chance to directly compare the timeliness of the
reporting in the two local newspapers--the Daily News and Lewiston
Tribune.  One is an afternoon paper that benefits from getting to report
on events that break during the morning, and the other is a morning
paper that gets all the afternoon breaks.
The exception is for news that is announced on Friday afternoon.  Both
papers print on Friday night for Saturday AM delivery.
And in the latest comparison, the Daily News won.
Today's Daily News included two in-depth stories by Ted McDonough on the
successful environmental appeal of the Highway 95 Paradise Ridge route.
That's a big story with serious impact on the entire region.  The
Tribune did not mention it at all.
It sure seems to me that Palouse coverage by the Tribune is going
downhill, and jumpstarted by the new publisher, the Daily News is
getting much better.
BL