[Vision2020] Traffic in Moscow

roger hayes rhayes@turbonet.com
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 08:13:43 -0700

Visionaries:

I am encouraged by debate, and opinion expressed in response to my
inquiry about the increase in traffic on the Palouse of late.  One
individual, Luke, said he would have 5,000 cars and SUVs coming to
downtown Moscow rather than 20,000 bikes. So I got my tape measure and
calculator out.  Measuring an average bike, and then an average motor
vehicle (not an SUV, but just a sedan), and then doing the math, I
found the following.  5,000 cars, bumper to bumper and door handle to
door handle would consume roughly 630,000 square feet.  20,000 bikes in
the same configuration would take up 125,000 square feet.  So it would
take about 100,000 bikes to take up the room of 5,000 motor vehicles.

But let's put everything in motion.  At slow to moderate speeds, it is
not dangerous or uncomfortable for a biker to be 2 or 3 feet from
another rider.  Of course, the faster one pedals, a bit more room is
nice.  Imagine being that close driving a motor vehicle!  Maybe on race
tracks this happens, but it's not a good idea for most of us.  This
means that cars, SUVs and pick-ups take up more room when put in
motion. The ratio, then,  changes substantially.  In motion, motor
vehicles take up roughly 3 times their stationary area while bikes take
up about 1.5 times their stationary area.  I will let the
mathematicians finish this equation.

I can also think of a few final points that have risen from this small
research. As we put more money in upgrading our roads, allowing traffic
to move at higher rates of speed, the more room the cars need.   The
greater acreage we designate to parking lots and motor vehicle
accommodations the more roads we need, and consequently the more
parking we need.

It's up to us, the citizens, the drivers, the taxpayers to envision
what our towns will look like and how livable they will be in the
future.  My vision would be bike racks, walking lanes, bike roads, bus
stops, and maybe some green space where people can talk to each other
and connect.  This would be called "community."  I don't see cars,
pavement, and racing traffic providing this.

Sincerely.

Roger Hayes