[Vision2020] traffic woes

roger hayes rhayes@turbonet.com
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 14:22:31 -0700

Dear visionaries:

Like so many Palouse residents, I live in Moscow but work in Pullman.
For the past couple of years I have been riding my bike to work every
day, and so haven't taken much note of traffic conditions.  Last week,
due to a (non-bicycle related) back injury, I found myself driving.  I
couldn't believe the traffic. By bike, in the mornings, I can usually
make it to the west side of Pullman from the east side of Moscow in
just about 30 minutes, and the 5 o'clock return trip in about 35
minutes. Last week it took me 30 minutes to drive it in the morning,
and 45 minutes to get home.  It's strange to think that a bicycle is
the faster way to commute over 11 miles.

In addition, on two separate days, I witnessed acts of road rage. One
in Pullman and one in Moscow.  These happened right here in our
peaceful communities!

Has anyone else noticed that there is an increase in traffic? Are more
people driving?  Are vehicles so big they take up more space on the
roads?  Or are we just driving more than we used to? Does anyone think
that traffic and noise presents a problem?

Yes, I do have an agenda here. Drive less, drive smaller vehicles, take
alternative transportation when available. Walk, ride the bus,
consolidate trips to the store, ride a bike (it's fun and generally
safe).

I challenge readers to contemplate their driving habits. Why would this
be important?  The answers are many:  Pollution. Conservation of
resources.  Quality of life. Conservation of city/county resources.
Personal and public health. Political issues, both international and
national.

Wouldn't it be nice to live in a town that didn't constantly hum and
roar with traffic? It is something only personal initiative will change.

Roger Hayes
Moscow