[Vision2020] opportunity

Bill London london@moscow.com
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 15:12:52 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C37552.823E87D0

The Daily News is seeking local editorial writers to enliven its opinion =
section.  This is an opportunity to awaken both that part of the paper =
and the local residents.  I believe that the Daily News has matured and =
improved of late, and this is a great step to making it more relevant.  =
Please consider applying (more info below in this reprint of Daily News =
publisher's column).  BL

------------------
LETTER FROM THE PUBLISHER: Town criers wanted: Newspaper puts out the =
call for your opinions=20

Nathan Alford

Opinions are like bad habits.=20
We've all got them, or so the adage goes.=20

Whether you're visiting with friends over coffee or having dinner with =
family, you're expressing opinions every day. These are the opinions =
that shape our communities.=20

That's what we are looking for at the Moscow-Pullman Daily News. We're =
seeking out those opinions with the goal of encouraging a dialogue on =
the issues that matter the most to you.=20

We'd like to invite you to join us in a unique effort to diversify the =
voices on our opinion page. It's called Town Crier, a project born from =
a late night idea and several cups of coffee with Managing Editor Steve =
McClure.=20

We're hoping to spawn a board of contributing writers from around the =
region.=20

In historical terms, town crier refers to an early English method of =
conveying news to the general public, which in early centuries had a low =
literacy rate.=20

Townspeople would gather in the local square or market to the sharp ring =
of a bell and hear the town crier read the latest news. It might have =
been on the plague or the kingdom's victories abroad. It was a talking =
newspaper of sorts.=20

We borrowed the historical name and notion of a community voice speaking =
out in a public forum.=20

Here's the concept:=20

We'd like to invite eight to 12 individuals from throughout Latah and =
Whitman counties to contribute a column on a rotating weekly basis. =
Board members will take turns writing for Wednesday's opinion page.=20

It's not for the faint of heart. Passion for your community is a =
requirement.=20

The pay is lousy. We can offer community recognition, the opportunity to =
shape local debate and the experience of sharing your words in print.=20

There's a bit of a commitment up front.=20

We're asking you to submit an informal cover letter telling us a bit =
about who you are, what you do, and what you foresee adding to the =
community discussion. We also ask that you work up a minimum of two =
sample columns of 700 words or less.=20

That's it.=20

Send your submission via e-mail to myself at alford@dnews.com, or mail =
your information to the Daily News, Town Crier, P.O. Box 8187, Moscow, =
ID 83843. All submissions must be received by Oct. 1.=20

We'll take a look at the submissions and come up with a cross section of =
voices that will represent our communities on a broad range of topics. =
After that we'll grab a mug shot of each contributing writer and turn =
you loose with a writing schedule.=20

It's a relatively small investment of time. You'll have the opportunity =
to write four columns a year. That's 700 words every three or so months. =
Each writer will be expected to contribute for a two-year period.=20

Remember, the subject matter is up to you. You'll have the freedom to =
take on all local and regional issues. It's all fair game within =
traditional journalistic limits.=20

We'll also hold an annual award ceremony for the most heralded =
contributing writer.=20

The Daily News editorial board will select a best-of-the-best =
contributing writer who will receive the Town Crier's "Golden Bell" =
award recognizing the writings of an individual that rang out with =
particular clarity and strength.=20

We guarantee a fun, unique experience. Take the initiative and give it a =
try. If you have a friend who you think would be perfect, give them a =
push.=20

A community newspaper should make it easier for all of us to =
communicate. We hope you'll join us and take the opportunity to ring the =
bell for open discussion.=20

Nathan Alford is editor and publisher of the Daily News. Column ideas =
are appreciated. He can be reached by phone at (208) 882-5561, ext. 247, =
or by e-mail at alford@dnews.com.=20

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C37552.823E87D0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<H2><FONT size=3D3>The Daily News is seeking local editorial writers to =
enliven=20
its opinion section.&nbsp; This is an opportunity to awaken both that =
part of=20
the paper and the local residents.&nbsp; I believe that the Daily News =
has=20
matured and improved of late, and this is a great step to making it more =

relevant.&nbsp; Please consider applying (more info below in this =
reprint of=20
Daily News publisher's column).&nbsp; BL</FONT></H2>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<H2>------------------</H2>
<H2>LETTER FROM THE PUBLISHER: Town criers wanted: Newspaper puts out =
the call=20
for your opinions </H2><BR>
<ADDRESS>Nathan Alford</ADDRESS><BR>Opinions are like bad habits.=20
<P>We've all got them, or so the adage goes.=20
<P>Whether you're visiting with friends over coffee or having dinner =
with=20
family, you're expressing opinions every day. These are the opinions =
that shape=20
our communities.=20
<P>That's what we are looking for at the Moscow-Pullman Daily News. =
We're=20
seeking out those opinions with the goal of encouraging a dialogue on =
the issues=20
that matter the most to you.=20
<P>We'd like to invite you to join us in a unique effort to diversify =
the voices=20
on our opinion page. It's called Town Crier, a project born from a late =
night=20
idea and several cups of coffee with Managing Editor Steve McClure.=20
<P>We're hoping to spawn a board of contributing writers from around the =
region.=20

<P>In historical terms, town crier refers to an early English method of=20
conveying news to the general public, which in early centuries had a low =

literacy rate.=20
<P>Townspeople would gather in the local square or market to the sharp =
ring of a=20
bell and hear the town crier read the latest news. It might have been on =
the=20
plague or the kingdom's victories abroad. It was a talking newspaper of =
sorts.=20
<P>We borrowed the historical name and notion of a community voice =
speaking out=20
in a public forum.=20
<P>Here's the concept:=20
<P>We'd like to invite eight to 12 individuals from throughout Latah and =
Whitman=20
counties to contribute a column on a rotating weekly basis. Board =
members will=20
take turns writing for Wednesday's opinion page.=20
<P>It's not for the faint of heart. Passion for your community is a =
requirement.=20

<P>The pay is lousy. We can offer community recognition, the opportunity =
to=20
shape local debate and the experience of sharing your words in print.=20
<P>There's a bit of a commitment up front.=20
<P>We're asking you to submit an informal cover letter telling us a bit =
about=20
who you are, what you do, and what you foresee adding to the community=20
discussion. We also ask that you work up a minimum of two sample columns =
of 700=20
words or less.=20
<P>That's it.=20
<P>Send your submission via e-mail to myself at alford@dnews.com, or =
mail your=20
information to the Daily News, Town Crier, P.O. Box 8187, Moscow, ID =
83843. All=20
submissions must be received by Oct. 1.=20
<P>We'll take a look at the submissions and come up with a cross section =
of=20
voices that will represent our communities on a broad range of topics. =
After=20
that we'll grab a mug shot of each contributing writer and turn you =
loose with a=20
writing schedule.=20
<P>It's a relatively small investment of time. You'll have the =
opportunity to=20
write four columns a year. That's 700 words every three or so months. =
Each=20
writer will be expected to contribute for a two-year period.=20
<P>Remember, the subject matter is up to you. You'll have the freedom to =
take on=20
all local and regional issues. It's all fair game within traditional=20
journalistic limits.=20
<P>We'll also hold an annual award ceremony for the most heralded =
contributing=20
writer.=20
<P>The Daily News editorial board will select a best-of-the-best =
contributing=20
writer who will receive the Town Crier's "Golden Bell" award recognizing =
the=20
writings of an individual that rang out with particular clarity and =
strength.=20
<P>We guarantee a fun, unique experience. Take the initiative and give =
it a try.=20
If you have a friend who you think would be perfect, give them a push.=20
<P>A community newspaper should make it easier for all of us to =
communicate. We=20
hope you'll join us and take the opportunity to ring the bell for open=20
discussion.=20
<P>
<P>Nathan Alford is editor and publisher of the Daily News. Column ideas =
are=20
appreciated. He can be reached by phone at (208) 882-5561, ext. 247, or =
by=20
e-mail at alford@dnews.com. </P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C37552.823E87D0--