[Vision2020] Moscow city pay raises

Bill London london@moscow.com
Tue, 02 Sep 2003 10:38:20 -0700

    When it was time for the Moscow City Council to give out raises last
year, they made sure that it was Moscow's city administrators who got
most of the money.  These administrators' salaries were boosted by as
much as $11,000 annually.
    The rank and file workers (the ones who actually clean the streets
and weed the parks) were not so privileged.  Most got a one-percent
raise.
    The Council chose to use our tax money to give more to the already
well-paid, and a token to those who could really use it.
    And now, the Council is covering up the results of that impropriety
by refusing to tell the public how much of our tax money those
administrators actually receive from the city.
    As was reported by Ted McDonough (Daily News, August 30) City
Attorney Randy Fife refuses to give out the total salary the
administrators (like himself) receive.  Council members should be
disgusted by this effort to hide legitimate salary questions regarding
public officials.  They are called public officials since the public
pays their salary--and the public has every right to know how much they
are paying.
    This city government is in need of an enema.
    I am ready for the election of some public-minded Council members in
November.
BL