[Vision2020] Fwd: Charity Navigator: SPLC

amy smoucha asmoucha@hotmail.com
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:06:42 -0600

<P>Well, Tim.&nbsp; We will continue to disagree, and to talk about different things.</P>
<P>Info on SPLC is on several cites that objectively reports on charities.&nbsp; Those of you who care may want to check out <A href="http://www.charitynavigator.org">www.charitynavigator.org</A>&nbsp; or &nbsp;<A href="http://www.guidestar.org">www.guidestar.org</A>&nbsp;.</P>
<P>Charity Navigator has quite detailed reports.&nbsp; Ratings on SPLC bear out the concerns about the amount of money spent on fundraising, and the amount of assets is high, and the organization takes in more than it spends.&nbsp; </P>
<P>Interestingly, Dees' salary is low compared to peers.&nbsp; The Anti-Defamation League, a comparable charity, payts its Director over $400,000&nbsp; (and they get four stars).<BR></P>
<P>I still want SPLC to stay around, and I think the attacks on Dees are less important than the center's work.&nbsp; Since I've given them money in the past, I am going to write them a letter asking them why they are not spending more money on current civil rights work, and how they are allowing affected communities to influence their work.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Amy Smoucha</P>
<P>----Original Message Follows---- </P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: info@charitynavigator.org
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>To: asmoucha@hotmail.com
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Charity Navigator: Send a Page
<DIV></DIV>Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:56:20 -0500 (EST)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>amy&nbsp; sent you this CHARITY NAVIGATOR link:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>"Southern Poverty Law Center Summary":
<DIV></DIV>Founded in 1971, the Southern Poverty Law Center combats hate, intolerance and discrimination through education and litigation. Its programs include the Intelligence Project, Teaching Tolerance, and Tolerance.org. The Center sponsors the Civil Rights Memorial, which celebrates the memory of those who died during the Civil Rights movement. Center attorneys have fought segregation, protected society's most vulnerable members and battled hate groups whose followers have violated the rights of others. The Center's Intelligence Project monitors hate groups and extremist activity, and its Teaching Tolerance project is dedicated to helping teachers foster equity, respect and understanding in the classroom and beyond.
<DIV></DIV>http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/bay/search.summary/orgid/4482.htm
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>C H A R I T Y N A V I G A T O R
<DIV></DIV>America's Largest Charity Evaluator
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>http://www.charitynavigator.org
<DIV></DIV>info@charitynavigator.org