[Vision2020] Vision2020 Purpose/Question for Potential City Council Membersl

jim meyer m1e2y3e4@moscow.com
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 00:59:57 -0700

Hello everyone! I am joining the list because I think your mission statement
summarizes useful and important purposes.

However, I am perplexed by the content over the last month. The majority of
the posts concern arguments for or against some irrelevant idea belonging to
Doug Wilson or his followers.  It matters not whether Doug Wilson is a
racist or women hater or religious bigot, but it does matter if he
encourages his sheep to run for public office. Why aren't we talking about
that possibility? Citizens of Moscow should take great pains to insure that
we avoid like the plague someone with a religious based agenda who decides
to run for public office, especially someone who espouses thoughts that many
consider to be racist, against women, or against other religions.

To put it differently, I really admire Doug for being able to take his
interest in intellectual masturbation to such heights as to make a paying
business out of it and have hundreds if not thousands support his vainglory
aspirations. Let Doug and his followers have an orgy of intellectual
masturbation. Who cares? Let the Halo Club, in their vanity, think
themselves more wonderful and greater than the rest of us--us who they
designate as heathens (I have personally heard Doug's followers call those
outside the Halo Club to be "heathens"). It is an "us" against "them"
attitude that I find very offensive, and in truth, very un-Christian. It is
an attitude that is certainly inappropriate for someone running for public
office.

So please, please don't  let the Halo Club run Moscow, or represent the
citizens of Moscow in any way, shape or form.
These thoughts in mind, it is a fair question to ask anyone running for
public office the following question:

Do you now or have you ever had any affiliation with Doug Wilson, his church
or his schools? If yes, do you repudiate him now?

Those of you running for City Council, where do you stand?

Lastly, why don't we all quit playing the intellectual masturbation game
with Doug and his cohorts? Life is too short to spend any time at all on
such insignificance.

Note: In fairness, I must report that my daughter attended Logos School for
a time. Many or even most aspects of her education were good, but there were
a few things, like the subject of slavery, that we as parents used as a
springboard for further discussion. Interestingly, I often think that Doug
would be better off if he and his followers followed Logos's precepts about
logical argument more closely. Maybe they would make a little more sense.

Sincerely,

Jim Meyer