[Vision2020] Idaho High in Qualified Instructors

Dale Courtney dmcourtn@moscow.com
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:59:41 -0700

Tom Hansen jumps up and down about government school progress. He forwards:

>The states, under new federal law, must make public the percentage of
>classes taught by "highly qualified teachers" -- that is, teachers who
>have a bachelor's degree, state certification and demonstrated mastery
>of every subject they teach.

Unfortunately, none of the above criteria prove that a teacher is any good.

You cannot base teaching performance on the letters behind someone's name.
We probably all have seen PhD's who cannot teach (but can bring in the
research money!). And we've probably seen those with no degree who are quite
gifted at teaching. I've seen both.

An example of the latter -- homeschool moms who never went to college; and
they are turning out children who are national merit finalists and win
accolades all over the country.

Bottom Line: our system for paying teachers (education attained + years
teaching) creates a dysfunctional system. Until that dysfunctional system is
corrected (or, better, removed), we will continue to have the most expensive
undereducated children in the world.

But at least we feel good about ourselves!

Best,
Dale