[Vision2020] It ought perhaps be said to THE STORM, et al

Benjamin Nieuwsma Brnieuwsma@softhome.net
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 18:57:34 -0700

Dear Mr. the Storm et al,

I presume that this message was intended for me??? However, one can never be
too sure... (I say! "Benny Boy", not too shabby, though perhaps a tad
misleading...) My dear sir, you wax eloquent most exceeding well. Please
accept my sincerest congratulations for your most delightful correspondence.

I shall endeavor to answer your questions, comments, statements...etc. as I
best know how, even though I do not fully understand how my original email
solicited some of the responses.

You start out with "I have a question." So far, so good... at least we
understand that you have a question. From there, you inquire, "do you really
got the rocks to try and in some way... Hope to convince these wise and
knowledgeable visionaries, that the slaves in the pre-civil war era were not
abused?"

Unfortunately, I have a few slight problems with this question, which I
would like to point out before proceeding:

In this question, you state that the people to whom I directed my query are
"wise and knowledgeable visionaries." Interestingly, one of the people
unconvinced was you. This must make you one of those "wise and knowledgeable
visionaries", I presume. And since you have doubtless read the Bible many
times over before admonishing me to do so, you must know the proverb that
begins, "let another man praise you and not your own lips." Hmmmm...

Secondly, by asking me if I really hope to be able to convince these "wise
and knowledgeable visionaries," you are in essence saying that the cards are
stacked against me so to speak. This is a propaganda technique know oddly
enough as "stacking the cards" Double hmmm... smells of neo-nazi scent.

To answer your question partially, "I at least have sufficient enough
audacity to attempt to answer you, however lacking I may or may not be in
loquacity."

Next you tell me that I cannot brush over the "facts". This is first of all
assuming that you have them. Now, I will agree that you have some facts,
however I will not agree that you either have within your reach or know all
of the facts. The problem that you are running into, my dear sir, is that
you are thinking in terms of universals. You are thinking that slaves were
always mistreated. My point was not that they were never mistreated --
indeed, I know right well that that is very false. In my former email, my
point was that in madam Rose's email, she was including in her sweeping
generalization even some former slaves.

As far as the holocaust goes, I am fully aware of much of what took place
then and am not about to deny it.

Furthermore, I would argue that the fallacy, which you make in your
paragraph to illustrate your point, is indeed your fallacy and in no way
more mine. You are arguing religiously that because you have several
examples of slaves being mistreated that most of them had to have been.
However, neither of us has provided sufficient enough information to prove
overwhelmingly that slaves either were or were not mistreated.

Then you put in a jibe about it being wise to learn history. Again, we
agree, though I am not sure really how this related. I could readily say the
same to you. "why don't they teach logic in these schools????"

Then you address me as more than one person. Quite remarkable...though
slightly impossible, I'm afraid.  Next you write "And for those of you who
wish to lecture us on the bible (again associating yourself with "the wise
and knowledgeable visionaries") I request that you first read the bible [The
whole Bible and not just the tid bits that you can use to poison the masses]
as once you have you will quickly discover the error of you ways."

My dear sir, you are presuming yourself necessarily right and me necessarily
wrong, (not to mention your complete ignorance of my Bible knowledge)  Since
when did "the storm" become the new standard for truth? I wish I had at
least been able to vote on it. However, you need be careful, sir. To quote
Socrates, "I am wiser than all men because this I know, that I know
nothing."
 As far as the scripture you quoted goes, I say amen to it, (in so much as
it is
accurately quoted)

As far as the last paragraph goes, you are correct sir, "but it would appear
that we look at this business from different ends of the spectrum." For you,
you write a dissertation and then at the end of it ask me why you were
writing to me, contrary to the purpose of this forum. For me, I write to
you, realizing that everything we do in some way affects others, realizing
that ideology, philosophy, sociology and epistemology are the basis for
community and society. People make choices based on their beliefs. Therefore
when we discuss the moral and practical ramifications of actions, we are
discussing the very basis of what this forum is all about. You cannot build
a good building without a foundation, sir. It is much easier to get
something done when everyone agrees that it is right, than to get everyone
to agree that something ought to be done. It is getting to that point of
agreement that takes the time. J

Pray forgive the lengthiness of this email.

Cheers!

Benjamin

"The tangent is the point" Cornelius Van Till