[Vision2020] The candidates questionaire

John Danahy jdanahy@turbonet.com
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:54:40 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C3949D.13A2AB70

First, I would like to extend my appreciation to the individuals who put
together the questionnaire.  The answers were certainly enlightening, =
and as
I do not read the local paper, nor can I attend forums conducted during
working hours, this is my primary way of ascertaining the views of the
candidates.

=20

I also want to thank all the candidates who answered the questions.  =
Their
willingness to put themselves on the line in this forum indicates the
growing acceptance of electronic communication in public affairs.  List
serves such as this, with a large and diverse membership, will come to =
be
the primary way the public will communication with its elected leaders.

=20

1) The HIRC!  I am glad that at least there is a growing awareness that =
the
process that resulted in the HIRC did not go well.  The comment by the =
two
incumbents regarding the process does not jibe with my memory of the =
events
starting with the gift by Mr. Hamilton.  I do wonder if there is an =
attempt
by city hall to whitewash the HIRC project.

=20

2) Expanding economic development.  We cannot continue to rely on the UI =
for
economic growth.  The UI is not a friend of the community, and =
especially
now, is focused solely on its own economic growth.  However, it is =
important
to remember that growth must be aided and abetted by local governance.  =
We
must recognize that all aspects of our community will impact growth.  =
For
example, the fair housing report issued last year shows that our =
community
needs to go a long way in addressing the difference between a "good =
paying
job" and the ability to live in the community.  We cannot become the =
next
Blaine County.  For a large part of our community, rent money is a =
worthy
cause.

=20

3) The aquifer,   Good answers all the way around.  Why are we pumping =
20%
more water than we are metering?  Is this why the upper aquifer is not
declining?  How much has the bottled water industry in town grown over =
the
last ten years and why?

=20

4) The bypass.  Seems to be pretty standard stuff.  One question might =
be if
the bypass comes to pass, will Third Street return to four lanes once =
tandem
trucks no longer pass through town?

=20

5)  One aspect of electronic communication is the willingness of the =
public
to question and expect answers from city hall.  The more information
available, the better for everyone.  For example, the salary study that =
was
conducted should be available online for anyone to look at, well before =
any
decisions are made.  If we have a pay for performance salary structure =
in
town, that that also should be available, including the "performance"
aspect.  I have appreciated the posting to this list various copies of
proposed ordinances, with the ability to comment directly to the =
council.
Even more, I have appreciated the willingness of a few council members =
respond to my concerns directly, even when we disagree strongly.  This =
must
be expanded.

=20

John

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C3949D.13A2AB70

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">

<!--
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{font-family:Arial;
	color:windowtext;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;
	text-decoration:none none;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->

</head>

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>First, I would like to extend my appreciation to the
individuals who put together the questionnaire.&nbsp; The answers were
certainly enlightening, and as I do not read the local paper, nor can I =
attend
forums conducted during working hours, this is my primary way of =
ascertaining the

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>I also want to thank all the candidates who answered =
the
questions.&nbsp; Their willingness to put themselves on the line in this =
forum indicates
the growing acceptance of electronic communication in public =
affairs.&nbsp;
List serves such as this, with a large and diverse membership, will come =
to be
the primary way the public will communication with its elected =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>1) The HIRC!&nbsp; I am glad that at least there is a
growing awareness that the process that resulted in the HIRC did not go
well.&nbsp; The comment by the two incumbents regarding the process does =
not
jibe with my memory of the events starting with the gift by Mr. =
Hamilton.&nbsp;
I do wonder if there is an attempt by city hall to whitewash the HIRC =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>2) Expanding economic development.&nbsp; We cannot =
continue
to rely on the UI for economic growth.&nbsp; The UI is not a friend of =
the
community, and especially now, is focused solely on its own economic
growth.&nbsp; However, it is important to remember that growth must be =
aided
and abetted by local governance.&nbsp; We must recognize that all =
aspects of
our community will impact growth.&nbsp; For example, the fair housing =
report
issued last year shows that our community needs to go a long way in =
addressing the
difference between a &#8220;good paying job&#8221; and the ability to =
live in
the community.&nbsp; We cannot become the next </span></font><font =
face=3DArial><span
  style=3D'font-family:Arial'>Blaine</span></font><font =
face=3DArial><span
  style=3D'font-family:Arial'>County</span></font><font =
face=3DArial><span
style=3D'font-family:Arial'>.&nbsp; For a large part of our community, =
rent money

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>3) The aquifer,&nbsp; &nbsp;Good answers all the way
around.&nbsp; Why are we pumping 20% more water than we are =
metering?&nbsp; Is
this why the upper aquifer is not declining?&nbsp; How much has the =
bottled
water industry in town grown over the last ten years and =

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>4) The bypass.&nbsp; Seems to be pretty standard =
stuff.&nbsp;
One question might be if the bypass comes to pass, will =
  face=3DArial><span style=3D'font-family:Arial'>Third =
Street</span></font><font
face=3DArial><span style=3D'font-family:Arial'> return to four lanes =
once tandem

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:Arial'>5)&nbsp; One aspect of electronic communication is =
the
willingness of the public to question and expect answers from city =
hall.&nbsp; The
more information available, the better for everyone.&nbsp; For example, =
the
salary study that was conducted should be available online for anyone to =
look
at, well before any decisions are made.&nbsp; If we have a pay for =
performance
salary structure in town, that that also should be available, including =
the &#8220;performance&#8221;
aspect.&nbsp; I have appreciated the posting to this list various copies =
of
proposed ordinances, with the ability to comment directly to the =
council.&nbsp;
Even more, I have appreciated the willingness of a few council members =
respond to my concerns directly, even when we disagree strongly.&nbsp; =
This

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;

style=3D'font-size:12.0pt;

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C3949D.13A2AB70--