[Vision2020] Slavery and War in Iraq

amy smoucha asmoucha@hotmail.com
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:56:03 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_3409_5766_70cf

Rwiza,

I think there are a lot of us out here who are disturbed and concerned by
recent posts to the listserve.  Many people are not participating in the
debate, because it is such an endless word game, and because it's hard to
see any way to have real communication with the Douglas Wilson folks.

Some of the horrible posts about having slaves were ill-humored pranks.  The
rest--defending or redefining American slavery as an institution that has
been misunderstood by history--is ill-informed and dangerous rhetoric.
Please don't take our silence as tacit approval, as many people simply do
not want to participate in the circular arguments with local
theologian/historians.

Northern Idaho has a history of struggles with extremist points of view, and
with ideologies that foster hatred--and violence--towards people of color
and gays and lesbians.  I haven't lived here long, but what I've seen
here--especially on this list serve--made me research that history.  I
recommend some books:  "Hate Is My Neighbor" and "Blood In the Face."  I've
leant them out, so don't have the authors/citations handy.  Also, the YWCA
in Lewiston is hosting a discussion about Bill Wassmuth on Oct. 29.  He was
a local leader who worked to oppose groups promoting white supremacy and
hatred in the Northwest, especially in the Spokane-Coeur d'Alene area.

I don't want to debate whether anyone is defending slavery or promoting
violence towards those of us who are gay or lesbian--and I won't debate.  I
do believe, however, that many people on this list and in this community
want an inclusive, diverse and respectful community.  We have many
alternatives-both to Wilson's ideology and to endless debate.

Amy Smoucha