[Vision2020] Twister, anyone?

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:32:20 -0700

In defense of dear old Dad, Nate Wilson writes:

>There are two things to be pointed out here. The first is this: If Melynda
>is right, and Uncle Tom's Cabin and Roots are the authorities, then at
>worst my father is a poor historian.

The point, Nate, is not that your father is a poor historian; the point is
that he isn't a historian at all.  Historians usually have academic training
in their chosen subject area.  Even when they don't have the PhD (as in the
case of the great Barbara Tuchman), they've read widely, studied with
experts, and subjected their ideas and theories to the scrutiny of juried
publications and peer review.  Your father is not a historian; he's a
polemicist, a Bill O'Reilly or a Rush Limbaugh, albeit on a much smaller
scale.

The argument that Doug is making in his writings on the old South is that
things weren't all that bad for black folks, and even on those rare
occasions when Massa fell short of the ideals of compassionate ownership,
there's still a Biblical case to be made in justifying the institution of
slavery.  Like Melynda, many of us take issue with Doug's methods, his
conclusions, and his choice of topic.  This is comic book history, Son.  It
fits easily onto a quarter sheet with plenty of margin and room for a
Sea-Monkeys ad.  Once again, why slavery?  Why the old South?  What does the
Confederacy have to do with the ideal practice of Christianity?  It puzzles
me that I never seem to come across a Fundamentalist musing on the Sermon on
the Mount, arguably the single most important speech Jesus ever made
regarding his ideals and philosophy.  Instead, they always seem to be
getting bogged down in Leviticus.  It's a shame -- kind of like stopping in
Kissemmee-St. Cloud when you were really hoping for Disney World.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment

PS: Entertaining as they are, I won't address your musings on evolution
here, Nate, except to say that if your father is no historian, he's no
scientist either.  Don't talk to me about groin-stretching to make one's
points -- you're clearly limber enough to play Twister with the Cirque du
Soleil.

Service.  Try it FREE for one month!   http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup