[Vision2020] Aaaaaa! Slavery!

Nate Wilson natewilson@moscow.com
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:53:07 -0700

Dearest Insightful People,
    Vision 2020 occasionally tempts me beyond my capacity for resistance
and I make noise. Watching various intellects argue that my father is a
racist is one such temptation. So I have written in to put Melynda's
concerned mind at ease. Ok, ready? He isn't. Does that fix it? Are we
all okay now?
    Okay, let's sit down and have a little think. My dad wrote a booklet
in which he argued that not all Southerners were the pointy-teethed
villians that they are said to be. Let's just say he disagrees with old
H. Beecher S. and he doesn't think that Tom's cabin typified Southern
reality. Let's say that he even thinks that the pre-war South had less
racial hatred than any other society that he knows of (including the
post-war South). It is at this point that our local low-priests of
secular dogma weigh-in in defense of their fifth-grade text books with a
roaring "Racist!"
    There are two things to be pointed out here. The first is this: If
Melynda is right, and Uncle Tom's Cabin and Roots are the authorities,
then at worst my father is a poor historian. Getting from there to
racism is more stretch than a groin can handle. Especially when you have
things like his public debate against a white separatist, the twin of
the first publication "The Biblical Offense of Racism," a tribute to
black confederates (cheerfully erased by our low priests) in Credenda,
as well as a published remark in the same magazine telling Southerners
that they ought to burn their flag and wear the ashes for a change. But
then the low-priests do have special revelation and can say things like
"Don't tell me your best friend is black, because that doesn't count."
Which I admit, is quite a daunting argument. It might almost convince my
father. "Maybe I don't like black people," he tells himself. "She seems
pretty sure she's right."
    Now let's try problem number two: Trying to prove a negative. Okay
Melynda, take off your vestments, and let's see you prove to my
satisfaction that you're not a racist. You aren't an evolutionist are
you? Well, chuck that whole 'created equal' thing, how can you say we're
equal when we're collectively racing out of oobleck by means of
mutation. Surely all the races aren't in a photo-finish? You don't have
respect for Planned Parenthood and their accompanying
racist-saint-founder Margaret Sanger do you? And surely you don't
approve of Honest Abe and his dream to deport the blacks. Liberia is
damning Melynda, damning. Please provide evidence that you either
repudiate Abe L., M. Sanger, Darwin, and the evolutionary process, or I
shall be forced to find it disturbing that you are allowed during Black
History Month. And don't tell me that you like black people. Anybody can
do that and it doesn't count.

NDW