[Vision2020] Aaaaaa! Slavery!

Jeremy Downey dunadhaigh@hotmail.com
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:43:37 -0700

<P>Melynda Huskey wrote:</P>
<P>"I am myself descended from slaveowners--Pennsylvania Quaker slaveowners, I say with sorrow and regret. I am married to a descendant of North Carolina slave owners. Using your argument, nothing I say can be construed as revealing a bias against slave owners, since I have a fondness for both myself and for Joan. Do you see the difficulty now?"<BR><BR>I'm afraid I don't.&nbsp; Since when is it unheard-of for children to hate their fathers?&nbsp; Your desire to distance yourself from them is evident from this very paragraph.&nbsp; All your letters seem to me to reveal a deep-seated prejudice against the past, and the typical Darwinist infatuation with the "modern" and "enlightened."</P></DIV>
<P>"It was Doug Wilson, in the Daily News, who asserted that the purpose of his tract was to defend slavery as a Biblical institution."</P>
<P>I thought it quite plain that he showed his purpose to be the defense of the Bible as an infallible institution, which is rather a different emphasis.&nbsp; Forgive me for paraphrasing, but he did reapeatedly say something to the effect of, "My primary purpose was to defend the Bible."<BR><BR>"If that's not true, and his purpose was to right an historical wrong, I have to ask again, what kind of person looks at the institution of slavery in the U.S. and says to himself, 'You know, those slave owners got a bad rap. Everybody feels sorry for the slaves, sure--but who's speaking up on behalf of those fine traffickers in human beings, the owners?'"</P>
<DIV>A person who loves and feels a connection to his forbears, whatever their warts and wrinkles.&nbsp; As a Christian, one is bound up in a mystical Body that transcends not only boundaries of race and language, but also of time.&nbsp; The southern Christian slaveowners (and their Christian slaves) are as much a modern Christian's kindred as those he worships with in the present.&nbsp; And as such they should be treated with the sort of fairness and loyalty that brotherhood demands.&nbsp; This doesn't mean wholesale acceptance of everything they may have said or done, but that is not what Mr. Wilson is doing.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"The modern historical establishment regularly re-engages the question of slavery--witness the brouhaha over *Time on the Cross.*"</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Which only makes it all the more curious that you find Wilson and Wilkins' investigation into the subject so insufferable.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"Don't fool yourself that the Wilson/Wilkins tract is part of any serious research on the subject, though."</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>That hurt.&nbsp; That hurt bad.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Jeremy Downey</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&gt;From: "Melynda Huskey" <MGHUSKEY@HOTMAIL.COM></P>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: "Jeremy Downey" <DUNADHAIGH@HOTMAIL.COM>,"vision2020" <VISION2020@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Aaaaaa! Slavery!
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:09:49 -0700
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Dear Jeremy:
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I am myself descended from slaveowners--Pennsylvania Quaker slaveowners, I say with sorrow and regret. I am married to a descendant of North Carolina slave owners. Using your argument, nothing I say can be construed as revealing a bias against slave owners, since I have a fondness for both myself and for Joan. Do you see the difficulty now?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;It was Doug Wilson, in the Daily News, who asserted that the purpose of his tract was to defend slavery as a Biblical institution. If that's not true, and his purpose was to right an historical wrong, I have to ask again, what kind of person looks at the institution of slavery in the U.S. and says to himself, "You know, those slave owners got a bad rap. Everybody feels sorry for the slaves, sure--but who's speaking up on behalf of those fine traffickers in human beings, the owners?"
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;The modern historical establishment regularly re-engages the question of slavery--witness the brouhaha over *Time on the Cross.* Don't fool yourself that the Wilson/Wilkins tract is part of any serious research on the subject, though. It's on a par with the work of David Irving.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Melynda HuskeyGet more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com