[Vision2020] Aaaaaa! Slavery!

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@hotmail.com
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:09:49 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C39182.E68EF390

Dear Jeremy:

I am myself descended from slaveowners--Pennsylvania Quaker slaveowners, =
I say with sorrow and regret.  I am married to a descendant of North Caro=
lina slave owners.  Using your argument, nothing I say can be construed a=
s revealing a bias against slave owners, since I have a fondness for both=
 myself and for Joan.  Do you see the difficulty now?

It was Doug Wilson, in the Daily News, who asserted that the purpose of h=
is tract was to defend slavery as a Biblical institution.  If that's not =
true, and his purpose was to right an historical wrong, I have to ask aga=
in, what kind of person looks at the institution of slavery in the U.S. a=
nd says to himself, "You know, those slave owners got a bad rap.  Everybo=
dy feels sorry for the slaves, sure--but who's speaking up on behalf of t=
hose fine traffickers in human beings, the owners?"  =20

The modern historical establishment regularly re-engages the question of =
slavery--witness the brouhaha over *Time on the Cross.*  Don't fool yours=
elf that the Wilson/Wilkins tract is part of any serious research on the =
subject, though.  It's on a par with the work of David Irving.

Melynda HuskeyGet more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http:/=
/explorer.msn.com

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C39182.E68EF390

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>Dear Jeremy:</=
DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I am myself descended from slaveowners--Penns=
ylvania Quaker slaveowners, I say with sorrow and regret.&nbsp; I am marr=
ied to a descendant of North Carolina slave owners.&nbsp; Using your argu=
ment, nothing I say can be construed as revealing a bias against slave ow=
ners, since I have a fondness for both myself and for Joan.&nbsp; Do you =
see the difficulty now?</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>It was Doug Wilson, =
in the Daily News, who asserted that the purpose of his tract was to defe=
nd slavery as a Biblical institution.&nbsp; If that's not true, and his p=
urpose was to right an historical wrong, I have to ask again, what kind o=
f person looks at the institution of slavery in the U.S. and says to hims=
elf, "You know, those slave owners got a bad rap.&nbsp; Everybody feels s=
orry for the slaves, sure--but who's speaking up on behalf of those fine =
traffickers in human beings, the&nbsp;owners?"&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</=
DIV> <DIV>The modern historical establishment regularly re-engages the qu=
estion of slavery--witness the brouhaha over *Time on the Cross.*&nbsp; D=
on't fool yourself that the Wilson/Wilkins tract is part of any serious r=
esearch on the subject, though.&nbsp; It's on a par with the work of Davi=
d Irving.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Melynda Huskey</DIV></BODY></HTML>=

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C39182.E68EF390--