[Vision2020] A Question for Doug Wilson:

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 22:01:26 -0700

Visionaries,

Andreas asks
>Is that which is made permissible by the Bible required to be made
>permissible by a Christian society? That is: if a Christian society wished
>to forbid the practice of marriage, which is made permissible by the Bible
>but not demanded of Christians, would it be permissible (according to the
>same standard) for it to do so?

I would answer that it is not necessary to make mandatory that which the
Bible merely permits. The real question is what is what the best way to
eliminate slavery was -- the way of massive bloodshed the way fire-eating
abolitionists insisted, or peacefully, the way every other slave-holding
nation did it. If Robert E. Lee was the moral equivalent of Hitler, then
war it must be. But if not, and the rhetoric of the abolitionists was
overdone, then a moderate anti-slavery position was possible.

My belief is that Christians of that time had a moral obligation to subvert
the institution of slavery -- without revolution -- the way the apostle
Paul did in the book of Ephesians. I am sorry to disappoint those who would
like to debate a Doug Wilson more to their liking. But he doesn't exists.

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson