[Vision2020] secular humanists?!

Eric Engerbretson eric@eric-e.com
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:56:42 -0800

--MS_Mac_OE_3152681803_9447382_MIME_Part

on 11/26/03 1:23 AM, Donavan wrote:

In a message dated 11/25/03 10:05:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,
eric@eric-e.com writes:

The best society I know of was
started in 1776 by Christians and Deists.

If you think the United States is the best country in the world, you live in
a very small world.

Donovan

Well, Donovan, I've spent six years living in other countries, spent a good
deal of time in seventeen different countries.  I lived for two years in
Denmark when it was rated the highest standard of living in the world.
Holland, Sweden-- they don't compare to the U.S.

Because of the nature of my travels, being a musician preferring host-home
stays to hotels, I stayed in over 300 homes elsewhere in the world.  I've
stayed in the homes of everybody from  embassadors and wealthy
industrialists to farmers and dirt-poor heroin addicts. I lived with street
people-- slept on park benches in Oslo, and in a cardboard box in a back
alley in Paris. I hitchiked thousands of miles in Europe and Japan.  I've
traveled through and worked in 49 of the United States.  I've met a lot of
people and talked a great deal about what makes a great country and what is
good and bad about the U.S..

Do you have that much experience on which to base your assumptions about the
best country in the world?

I know more than a lot of people about how big the world is.  North Idaho
is, indeed, a very small world-- but I know very clearly why I've chosen to
live here.

My question is: if you don't think that the U.S. is the best country in the
world, why ever are you living here?  Are you making such a huge charitable
contribution to this society that you think we NEED you here?

Forgive me if this letter has an arrogant tone. It just bothers me to be
told I don't know my way around the block.  Let me know if you want to get
lunch sometime.

Sincerely,

Eric Engerbretson

--MS_Mac_OE_3152681803_9447382_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Vision2020] secular humanists?!</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
on 11/26/03 1:23 AM, Donavan wrote:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">In a message dated 11/25/03 1=
0:05:47 PM Pacific Standard Time, eric@eric-e.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">The best societ=
y I know of was<BR>
started in 1776 by Christians and Deists.<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><BR>
<BR>
If you think the United States is the best country in the world, you live i=
n a very small world.<BR>
<BR>
Donovan</FONT></FONT> <BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Well, Donovan, I've spent six years living in other countries, spent a good=
 deal of time in seventeen different countries. &nbsp;I lived for two years =
in Denmark when it was rated the highest standard of living in the world. &n=
bsp;Holland, Sweden-- they don't compare to the U.S. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Because of the nature of my travels, being a musician preferring host-home =
stays to hotels, I stayed in over 300 homes elsewhere in the world. &nbsp;I'=
ve stayed in the homes of everybody from &nbsp;embassadors and wealthy indus=
trialists to farmers and dirt-poor heroin addicts. I lived with street peopl=
e-- slept on park benches in Oslo, and in a cardboard box in a back alley in=
 Paris. I hitchiked thousands of miles in Europe and Japan. &nbsp;I've trave=
led through and worked in 49 of the United States. &nbsp;I've met a lot of p=
eople and talked a great deal about what makes a great country and what is g=
ood and bad about the U.S.. &nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Do you have that much experience on which to base your assumptions about th=
e best country in the world?<BR>
<BR>
I know more than a lot of people about how big the world is. &nbsp;North Id=
aho is, indeed, a very small world-- but I know very clearly why I've chosen=
 to live here.<BR>
<BR>
My question is: if you don't think that the U.S. is the best country in the=
 world, why ever are you living here? &nbsp;Are you making such a huge chari=
table contribution to this society that you think we NEED you here?<BR>
<BR>
Forgive me if this letter has an arrogant tone. It just bothers me to be to=
ld I don't know my way around the block. &nbsp;Let me know if you want to ge=
t lunch sometime.<BR>
<BR>
Sincerely,<BR>
<BR>
Eric Engerbretson=20
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3152681803_9447382_MIME_Part--