[Vision2020] Spanking vs beating a child

Jackie Woolf jfkwoolf2000@yahoo.com
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:02:47 -0800 (PST)

--0-328961607-1069783367=:2909

Ruth;

I have read, with some interest, your statistics regarding spanking a child
and the "harm" that that causes children.  My one word for all you have
said and quoted is "bunk".  You constantly quote from a Canadian
journal and yet you only go so far in doing that.  The study complied had
to do with ABUSIVE situations - meaning, children that were BEATEN on
a regular basis, not spanked in a loving, caring, disciplinary way.

Of course, beating children will result in the type of people you talk about.
Disciplining a child with love and direction results in a healthy well adjusted
person that knows there are limits in society.

Most kids who are overweight are NOT kids that have been beaten.  They
are kids that have parents that have not shown them limits.

Most kids who are on drugs/alcohol are NOT kids that have been beaten.  They
are kids that have parents that have not shown them limits.

The list continues.

One other thing you fail to mention in your "efforts" to contvert people from
spankers to non-spankers...the type of children this study involves - there is no
income, no social standing, no race, no real information regarding the people
studied.  Or the meaning of "frequency of slapping and spanking during childhood
and a lifetime prevalence of anxiety disorder, alcohol abuse or dependence and externalizing problems."  Does this mean one spanking a year vs. 20 a month or what?

Nor is the study varified by any other group, either in Canada or the US.

No, I do not advocate beating of children; however given that "time-outs in a
corner" for periods of time is a very effective way to getting the message across
to a child that a spanking (at the early years) may, I hold to  "Spare the rod, spoil
the child".

Thank you

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
--0-328961607-1069783367=:2909

<DIV>Ruth;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have read, with some interest, your statistics regarding spanking a child</DIV>
<DIV>and the "harm" that that causes children.&nbsp; My one word for all you have</DIV>
<DIV>said and quoted is "bunk".&nbsp; You constantly quote from a Canadian</DIV>
<DIV>journal and yet you only go so far in doing that.&nbsp; The study complied had</DIV>
<DIV>to do with ABUSIVE situations - meaning, children that were BEATEN on</DIV>
<DIV>a regular basis, not spanked in a loving, caring, disciplinary way.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Of course, beating children will result in the type of people you talk about.</DIV>
<DIV>Disciplining a child with love and direction results in a healthy well adjusted</DIV>
<DIV>person that knows there are limits in society.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Most kids who are overweight are NOT kids that have been beaten.&nbsp; They</DIV>
<DIV>are kids that have parents that have not shown them limits.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Most kids who are on drugs/alcohol are NOT kids that have been beaten.&nbsp; They</DIV>
<DIV>are kids that have parents that have not shown them limits.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The list continues.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>One other thing you fail to mention in your "efforts" to contvert people from</DIV>
<DIV>spankers to non-spankers...the type of children this study involves - there is no</DIV>
<DIV>income, no social standing, no race, no real information regarding the people</DIV>
<DIV>studied.&nbsp; Or the meaning of "frequency of slapping and spanking during childhood </DIV>
<DIV>and a lifetime prevalence of anxiety disorder, alcohol abuse or dependence and externalizing problems."&nbsp; Does this mean one spanking a year vs. 20 a month or what?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Nor is the study varified by any other group, either in Canada or the US.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>No, I do not advocate beating of children; however given that "time-outs in a</DIV>
<DIV>corner" for periods of time is&nbsp;a very effective way&nbsp;to getting the message across </DIV>
<DIV>to a child that a spanking (at the early years) may, I hold to&nbsp; "Spare the rod, spoil</DIV>
<DIV>the child".&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thank you</DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>