[Vision2020] "No member of Chirst Church supports slavery." -- Doug Jones

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:59:12 -0800

Visionaries,

Steve asks this:
>The two Dougs from Christ Church cannot have it both ways. Either slavery
>is evil or it is not. Which Doug are we to believe?

Actually both of them, since we agree completely on this issue. Now I want
you all (or at least anyone interested in something beyond sound byte ammo)
to follow me closely here. Certain things are good because that is the way
that God created them -- let us call them creational goods. Things like
marriage, food, work, and fair sunshine. This is what is meant when God
looked over the creation He had fashioned, and said that it was good.

When sin entered the world (sin being defined as a proud resistance to the
will of God), the created order fell as Adam rebelled and fell. In this
sinful and now ethically complicated world, we have a new category, which
is that of comparative good. Marriage is a good in the first instance, and
divorce *can* be a good in the second. Divorce is frequently an instrument
for sinning, but sometimes it is a godly and appropriate response to
sinning. God hates divorce, and so do I. But sometimes as a pastor I have
counseled someone who is the victim of a hard-hearted spouse that they need
to seek a divorce. For those fond of googling up Credenda articles, google
up "Time to Walk." I say that I hate divorce, but sometimes have counseled
it. Is this a contradiction? Only for those whose political agenda demands
misunderstanding us, or for those who think that anyone who holds to
ethical absolutes (as I do) must necessarily also maintain that those
absolutes are built out of rough cut two by fours.

War is a similar institution. God promises that the future of our world
will exclude war, the lion will lie down with the lamb, and the swords will
be beaten into plowshares. God hates war, and so do I -- especially
unnecessary ones like the one we are now in. And yet I believe someone who
loves God can participate in warfare provided he carefully follows God's
regulations and boundaries for those who find themselves in that kind of
situation. I do believe there is such a thing as a just war, but this is a
good in the second category, not the first. It is a comparative good, not a
creational good. And it can only be a comparative good when the war is
justified because the alternative is worse. God promises the end of war
(through the gospel), and yet He equipped David for war (Ps. 144:1). And at
the same time, David was prohibited from building the Temple because he was
a man of blood.

Consequently, those who insist that we are praising slavery as a creational
good (as though it were some kind of milk and honey institution) are
grievously misrepresenting us. They do this, some of them, because they
cannot help it -- they honestly cannot follow the argument. They do not
understand that while God is perfect, He is not a perfectionist. They want
all absolutists to affirm a simplistic ethic. Sorry, no can do. Others say
that we are praising slavery because they see in this an issue that is
highly flammable, and they want to run us out of town. And don't forget,
they want to do this in the name of Diversity. (By the way, how many
signatures do the diversity cops have to collect on their petition before
we have to go into exile?)

So here is a simple summary for anyone who wants it: slavery is a result of
sin, and the logic of the gospel, which sets men free, contains the promise
that it will bring an end to all slavery (sinful in this sense) over time.
But before slavery ended in our nation, it was possible for a Christian who
was a slave owner to follow the instructions of the New Testament for those
in such situations. 1 Tim. 6:1-5 says what it does. Slavery (general):
sinful. Slavery (in this or that particular instance): it depends.

But there are those who cannot comprehend this, and who have a great deal
of pent-up zeal that they simply *must* express against slavery. They must
do this regardless of our explanations. So I have a proposal for the
adherents of all such boring and ugly hypocrisies. Why don't you start
weekly protests in Friendship Square directed against all the countries
which are practicing slavery right now? Stop standing up for the rights of
slaves who have been dead for a century. Stand up for those who are
enslaved now in East Africa, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Malaysia, and Indonesia.
This will enable us to see how deep your anti-slavery commitment actually is.

And because I am not going to hold my breath waiting for this to happen,
let me also say this about my previous posts on the gospel of Christ. Jesus
Christ died on the cross, and He rose again from the dead, and because He
did this He is able to forgive any sin whatever. This authority to forgive
includes the authority to forgive left wing posturing, hypocrisy,
bitterness, lies, slanders, and malice. Jesus has the power to forgive it
all. And I do not mind saying, though I am a very poor imitator of Christ,
that we bear no ill will toward any of those who have lied about us over
the course of this controversy. Of course, we would like it to end, but,
until it does, it is good to remember that Jesus died to save people just
like us.

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson